i saw something that scares me...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i saw something that scares me...

Hybrid View

i saw something that scares me...

newest episode of pimp my ride, they put a 22 inch mtx jackhammer subwoofer into the car. only one made so far. it weighs like 345 pds, had to put it in with a cherry picker! it cranks so loud they had to put a warning meter in to keep it safe. they had it at very low and it got 30db which they said was louder then an airplane engine. they said it can do four or five times the noise of a plane engine... big question, what use could there be for all that bass?

So people can drive by your house at 2:00 AM while you are trying to sleep with it turned up loud ?
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

i guess, but i heard that some bill is about to be passed that keeps ppl from playing loud music in their cars.

yeah we have laws over here for music levels, think its only after 11pm though?
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

its supposed to be because loud music supposedly distracts other drivers. dunno lol.

there is no reason for that kind of sound production, not on that scale. the electrical system alone would make the car unsuitable for daily all-around driving. The meter is just for idiots, turn the damn thing down when your ears start to hurt, ive never needed a flashy meter to tell me that.

A pair of 12" woofers, the right brand in the right box with the right ~1000w amp is louder than anyone needs or can handle while driving. I had a kicker 15 L7 square in a 6cuft box, a 1400w amp on that and i couldnt see when fully up, i always had to have windows open just for the air to breathe

i love those pimp my rides, i would love to see some numbers in how many of those cars get vandalized in the months after

it took eight mtx amps and eight car batteries to power just the sub! 8500 watts required altogether lol

thats rediculous, stop watching that crap its the only reason they need all that junk on camera!

Really, anyone that has delt with car audio systems know that a good install can put out unbearable bass with nothing more than a high-output alternator. a solid 1000w used wisely is more than anyone should deal with if they are concerned about their hearing/safety.

Those shows are just paid advertisements, but i guess that goes for most anyway. at least shows like monster garage actually show some skills

Here in Youngstown, OH we have laws against this very thing. If a cop can here your music 50' away, I believe it's $150 in fines, please the judge can make you forfeit your stereo and amp. Second and third time offenders are given harsher punishments...

EXAMPLE
    That's from our local newspaper, The Vindicator, just two weeks ago. Of course, he's a parolee, so the punishment is harder, but it happens all the time.

...will spend five weekends in the Mahoning County jail... also ordered to pay a $600 fine by Sept. 22 and, if he doesn't, to spend five more weekends in jail.
    If you've never heard of Youngstown, we were named the "Murder Capital of the US" in 1995. Not that I'm proud of that, but Youngstown State University football team were NCAA Division 1-AA National Champions 4 times in the 90's, and posted the best record in all divisions in the 90's. I remember going to the first round playoff game in 1994 when they played Alcorn State (Steve McNair threw for 500 yards, but we still wooped them 63-20!!!)

Other than that, this town is in shambles. One county jail, one correctional facility, one penetentary, and a juvenile justice center larger than all of our schools... and they're overpacked so much, many get their sentences shortened to make room for the new bait.
    I can go on and on...
    Aspire Turbo case w/6 case fans
    Abit AN7 rev C1 nForce2 Ultra 400
    AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.205GHz
    Thermalright SLK900A w/92mm Tornado
    Abit Radeon 9600XT All In Wonder 594/796
    Geil Dual Channel 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 6-3-2-2.5
    Sound Blaster® X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty
    2-Maxtor Ultra Series Kit 120GB SATA L01M120 Raid0 (OS & Programs)
    Western Digital Special Edition 120GB WD1200JB 8MB (Data)
    Lite-On CD-Rom 48x
    NEC 4X DVD +RW/-RW Drive
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2

When I just got my licence, the first thing I saved up for was a stereo. I had two 12" Kicker something (Comp?) in the boot powered by this Signat 1000RMS amp or something. After about 2 months. I sold it all.

Have you ever noticed that the people who go to the extreme of customizing their $100,000 cars with the biggest and most blinged out wheels, custom alligator skin interiors, and even steering wheels encrusted with diamonds always seem to have the same 12” woofers as the 16 year-old kid down the street? For these people, the word “excess” doesn't cross their minds when it comes to customizing their car. So, MTX has crafted an all new, 22" SuperWoofer for anyone who's got what it takes to go to the extreme—the MTX Audio JackHammer T9922.

JackHammer is the most enormous, mind-blowing subwoofer ever created. You will literally not believe it until you see it. Standing in at 23” tall, 320 pounds, and with 12,000 watt peak music power handling, you will be hard-pressed to find something that will get in the ring with this heavyweight.

• Carbon fiber and glass fiber dust cap with aluminum honeycomb center
    • Expanded polypropylene cone with mica filler for reduced mass and increased stiffness
    • FEA designed progressive roll spider with 10 AWG integrated tinsel leads woven in to allow for 2.5” of linear cone movement one way
    • 900 ounce strontium ferrite magnet with extended magnetic field gap technology and aluminum shorting ring
    • 6.5” voice coil with a flat wound, long-excursion design incorporating 2.5” of x-max and 17 AWG high temperature aluminum wire
    • Aluminum heatsink to maintain the optimum voice-coil temperature
    • 6,000 RMS, 12,000 peak music power

The JackHammer SuperWoofer represents excess in every way and this enormous subwoofer lives for high SPL and window shattering bass. But, the T9922 is designed for sonic quality, and high SPL, what we call SQL. JackHammers are shipped in either the SPL mode, with dual 2Ω voice coils, or as the SQL model with dual 4Ω voice coils. A replaceable cone assembly is also available, for switching between "every day" listening (SQL), and competition (SPL).
    I have two of these in my Escalade.

http://www.divetristar.net/aprilia/0115.jpg
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox
    I have two of these in my Escalade.
    I was joking about this guys...
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

mine is getting a 12" woofer powered by a 2Channel bridged amp puting out about 300watts RMS and it doesnt sound much but any more and i wont use it! my car rattles with the head unit putting out half power (full power is 27watts RMS!) with the standard front components
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

I've been visited by the police for jamming 4 18" Cerwin Vegas from a total of 5000W Crown AMP power a 'bit' too loud, not my setup haha, testing some newly resoldered caps in my mates amp that got fried from a drunkie at a gig, as for cars i've stopped with subs and stuff and just use 6" components now, plently loud, back in ma 'rude boy' phase i had 2 Rockford Fosgate 15" Punch subs powered by a 2 MTX Thunder 800W Mono block Sub amps, Bass so extreme you could literally puke when the it hit, not worth the theft risk and battery drain, plus stock alt could'nt really truly cope with the load LOL.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

And how about giving the response curve for that sub. Also you would stuggle to dissipate the heat for that 23" beast. It would seem that it would be near impossible to drive without numerous bridged amps.

PS// Peak-music-power-output (PMPO) is a marketing figure which has entirely no bearing to reality. For instance your home stereo unit is probably sold at 2000Watts PMPO. Read the manual and it draws only 105W from the powerpoint. It must use magic power.
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Thread Information