SCSI still worth it?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: SCSI still worth it?

Hybrid View

SCSI still worth it?

Hi everyone...

I'll be building some new machines in the near future for home and work. As I ponder whether to make the 64 bit jump or not, I'm also wondering if it's worth putting some castoff SCSI parts into a new box.

I have a leftover IBM 36G 15K UW160 drive that I pulled from a file server. I also just picked up an LSI Logic UW160 adapter, which I know works well with this drive. The IBM is fast (albeit a bit loud) and I thought I'd put it into a new workstation build as the system disk, and put a big SATA drive in for storage.

Given how fast SATA drives are these days, should I bother with the SCSI at all? I hate to see a 15K drive go to waste, but it is, after all, 2002's technology...;-)

I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks...

If you already have the drive then I would say go for it.

I personally don't use SCSI anymore except in my file server.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Same as jankerson... I recently just started using a full IDE/SATA system and put my SCSI Drives on hold. Now that I've been suing an IDE main drive, I do feel a slight stutter in the drives performance but nothing I can't get used to.

As stated, if you already have the drive and the SCSI card, use it! If you still have to go out and buy it, its probably not worth the extra cost.

I personally still like SCSI and will reinstall Windows onto it because of the small difference I can feel. Its also lightning fast to transfer from one SCSI drive to another. Much, much faster than IDE133 or SATA150.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Well the adapter cost $15 off of Ebay, and the drive is sitting right here. All I need is an 80-68 pin adapter for it, and I believe that there are compatible XP64 drivers for the adapter... so I might as well use it.

Good thinking.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Oh yeah that will work.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Go for it.. SCSI is always better for the time being when it comes to quality and reliability.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

I figured as much... but with the changes in hardware happening I thought I'd check here to see what I might have missed. Thanks for the replies...

Thread Information