Completely confused about TFTs - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Completely confused about TFTs

Annand has a review up on newer large LCD's.

Subjective Analysis of Hewlett Packard Pavilion L2335 (Carbon, Silver) 23" LCD Monitor

Like other Super IPS displays, the HP L2335 features a 0.258mm pixel pitch, 16ms response time and a relatively conservative contrast ratio and brightness. This is a true 8-bit LCD and our benchmarks should reflect that later on in the benchmarks of this review - almost a necessity in our book.

I found the one I want, now, wher is the $1100 US hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by F_A_L_C_O_N
    for the amount of money it costs, it better, couse you wont be going out for at least a month
    Well, it's a good 200 cheaper than that Iiyama in this country. Must be a similar story in Europe.

I have the 2005FPW which is good value in the UK and absolutely stupid value in the US - regularly ~$375 with Dell coupons. It uses a smaller version (20") of the SIPS panel in the HP. The response rate is excellent - no worries there - but the characteristic SIPS off-angle colouration takes a bit of getting used to. If you sit at arms length from a black screen you can see a slight peachy tinge in all three corners. Nothing to worry about with a bright desktop of course; it's just something that I imagine might be more noticeable on the 23" version. The 2405FPW uses a PVA panel so won't exhibit this effect.

Well, the Dell 2405 FPW and the HP were the ones I had in mind when I said 1200 Euro. (Including VAT, obviously.) Though I'm suddenly weary of HP, after seeing the 25ms spec. I know Anand had a 16ms one, but it makes me wonder if the European version uses a 25ms panel, or it's a typo, or what.

The Dell is currently 1.216,84 Euro on their site, while the Iiyama H2010 can be found online for 896,92 Euro.

Though the one Iiyama that suddenly looks a lot more attractive to me atm is this one:
    http://www.iiyama.us/pages/content.a...=236&PROD=4202

12ms tr+tf, 8ms grey-to-grey, and I'm not sure what to make of the "10 bit lookup table" claim. Does it mean a 10 bit panel or something? Also, like most recent Iiyama monitors, it seems to have options to not scale, or scale preserving the aspect ratio, though it's buried deep in the manual.

And a quick price search puts it at 692,32 Euro.

Does anyone know anything bad about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Moraelin v2.0
    The Dell is currently 1.216,84 Euro on their site, while the Iiyama H2010 can be found online for 896,92 Euro.
    Ah. Yes, I suppose that's the relative difference in price when the 2405FPW isn't on offer in this country too. Never seems too long before it's back on offer though. They were doing "buy-one-get-one-half-price" a while ago!

12ms tr+tf, 8ms grey-to-grey, and I'm not sure what to make of the "10 bit lookup table" claim. Does it mean a 10 bit panel or something?
    It means that 8-bit colourspace is upconverted to 10-bits, then corrected and reduced to 8-bits again for display purposes. I think this allows them to adjust the gamma curve more accurately, or at least offer more flexibility as a far as gamma adjustment goes. Not familiar with that monitor but it looks pretty sweet. 19" 1600x1200 panels have a tendency to look pretty nice, just because of the res vs. screen size.

The response characteristics of the HP are the same as the 2005FPW, which is excellent. The reason I'm reluctant to recommend the 2005FPW (even though I love it) is that it seems to have an inherent backlight bleeding problem - just search for this and you'll see what I mean. I'm on my second one; the black uniformity on the first 2005FPW I received was pretty bad, TBH. Still, it's almost a non-issue if you don't watch films or game in low lighting conditions.

Check this out:

That pic makes it look a little worse than it was - virtually unnoticeable unless you have a totally black screen or the lights dimmed - but still.... pretty shocking eh? Seems to be pot luck as to what you get with the 2005FPWs in this respect.

Actually, it's a 19" 1280x1024. It can take 1600x1200 input and downscale it to 1280x1024, though why would anyone want to do that... I'm really drawing blanks there.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraelin v2.0
    Actually, it's a 19" 1280x1024. It can take 1600x1200 input and downscale it to 1280x1024, though why would anyone want to do that... I'm really drawing blanks there.
    Missed that. Maybe if whatever app you're in doesn't support 5:4 aspect? Still... why not just crop? Bizarre.
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Quote Originally Posted by MuFu
    Still, it's almost a non-issue if you don't watch films or game in low lighting conditions.
    Well, I do game in total darkness, so I guess that would make it a problem.

Thanks for all the info.

Thread Information