Battlefield 2 demo available
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 2 demo available

Cool Battlefield 2 demo available

Just thought you guys would like to know that the Battlefield 2 demo is now available. I know I've been looking forward to this one for ages

I haven't given a link as there are tons of sites offering it for download, I thought it'd be easier to google it and find a server which isn't too overloaded.

I used FilePlanet, it maxed out my 2meg connection, but I had to wait half an hour for the download to start.

Download is 540mb, by the way. Enjoy
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

I don't believe it, STILL no support for 1280 * 1024.

WTF have Dice got against people with TFT screens?

edit: I've found a workaround to get 1280x1024 res

you have to edit the game shortcut to:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

tested it, and it works
    Last edited by dannyboy27; June 12th, 2005 at 02:21 PM.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

hows the graphics and gameplay? ive still never even played the first but ive just helped 2 mates find a new graphics card for 150 for this game (6600GT)
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

the demo map is not the most amazing, but the engine is a huge improvement in terms of graphics, physics and sound. These are a couple of quick screenies I took:

You should give it a go if you haven't tried any of the Battlefield series, they are very very addictive, and really come into their own in a LAN environment with a few friends

For some better screenshots check my post in this thead

M.C.S.A.

540mb? demos are getting to the point where you need a dvd just to transport them... a demo!

ps- yahoo's server is maxing out my 4mb connection http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/pc/batt...2/files/119198
    Last edited by krupted; June 12th, 2005 at 09:15 PM.

Bah every server i tried yesterday was giving me something stupid like 600bytes/s

Need to give it another go tonight, i installed DC the other day and it messed up my whole BF1942 install
    A64 3000+ at 3.2ghz
    1gb OCZ Plat 2
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Galaxy 7800GTX
    600W Enermax
    Regassed prommie with R507a

Ah the new updatedness of my sig.

Damn guys, I hopped on a torrent and had it about 2 hours after release! I found the menu/options/multimedia interface to be difficult, annoying, and full of bugs. For instance, I play with mouse inverted, but it defaulted the other way. I not only had to change it in normal mode, but also for vehicles, boats, planes and helos independantly. And any change you make in one screen and go to another and come back, the changes were all gone. You have to hit the save button every time you change anything, or it's lost. The multiplayer login on start took forever- I sat there waiting at the "awaiting authorization" screen or whatever it was when you create an account for literally 20 minutes with nothing happening. I repeatedly backed out and tried again, to no avail. Eventually I backed out completely and tried logging in using the user/pwd I'd tried to register, and it worked! So, chock up another bug. There were other numerous problems, including fatal lockups I had to reboot for.

Gameplay. Well... I was never a fan of BF1942, and this proved to be more of the same spawn/run/run/run/run/die from unseen foe/wait/respawn/repeat that I hated from the old game. By sunday, the llamas and munchkins had discovered exploits for artillery, commander-in-the-enemies-base camping, and spawn killing that made the game boring and frustrating for both sides. On servers with squads that actually function as a unit and cooperate, the game was a lot more fun.

Graphics were excellent, and the physics seemed smooth and weapons worked well- tanks are nearly invincible and APCs die almost instantly to anti-tank fire, as it should be. The weapons and classes seemed fairly balanced as a whole. I really can't complain about the game function itself, just the people playing it and the whole structure of the gameplay is why I don't like it.
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

that's fair enough, the style of play is an acquired taste, totally unlike a normal FPS. I love it though, must've played BFV more than just about any other game except maybe Rainbow Islands and Deus Ex.

As far as I remember, the original BF games also had separate invert mouse settings for air, land, sea and infantry. It just gives you more configurability. And you've only got to set those settings once.

I totally agree about the *******s on the public servers though, which is why I never play on them. I just play against a few friends on a private server which one of them has set up, or if they're busy then I just practice in single player.

The public servers are just too frustrating. People on your own side killing you to get to the vehicles first, numbskulls whose flying skills are even worse than the AI's, and then the uber-players who berate you if you don't score a kill with every shot. No thanks.

M.C.S.A.

Tell me, I found the text was very intrusive on the display for BF1. Can you change the font size in BF2?
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

can't see any option to change the text size :-/

M.C.S.A.

wow- they really did up the engine. This game runs smoother at higher settings than did BFV. So far, i think this game rocks, and i dont care about the strategy, i just like to blow **** up

yeah I can't wait to get the full game with some better maps, and also some flyable vehicles.

If I had one tiny criticism, I don't think the explosions are quite as satisfying as 1942/BFV, when bits used to get flung high in the air when you killed a tank. But overall I think the engine is lovely.

With BFV we've been using TeamSpeak to communicate. Has anyone tried the inbuilt VOIP system in BF2 yet? I'd be interested to see how it compares in terms of bandwidth usage.

M.C.S.A.

Looks like a sweet game. I need to upgrade my PC to play it better though..
    Asus P4Pe
    Intel P4 2.4B GHz
    512 MB PC 2700 DDR 333 MHZ RAM
    Antec SX835II w/350 W PS
    Leadtek GeoForce 4 Ti4200 AS250LE-TD 128 MB
    Western Digital 100 GB 7200 RPM HD
    Sound Blaster Live 5.1
    Toshiba 16X DVD
    3D Mark 2001 -- 11,646

Originally posted by dannyboy27
    The public servers are just too frustrating. People on your own side killing you to get to the vehicles first, numbskulls whose flying skills are even worse than the AI's...
    Sounds like a typical LAN session as well!

When it all breaks down and it's 5am and you're watching the sun come up again, there's simply no alternative to capping a buddy as he makes a beeline for a plane, then taking off in said plane and parachuting out above your target. All so you can get there quicker.

Of course if he does manage to get to the plane first you can try and shoot it up during take-off. This can be difficult, so it's best to have some freshly-spawned buddies around to help concentrate the fire.

SWAT 3 (and hopfeully 4) seems to bring out similar tendencies. If a critical hostage is killed, or one of your team dies, morale can get so low that someone decides it's just not worth continuing and shoots the rest of the team in the back! It's now a fairly well established rule and it makes a great 'last-man standing' finale to a failed mission.

It's all about the 'game within the game'.

As for BF2 Demo, I can't get it to run, crashes to desktop immediately. Frantically searching the web for people with similar problems to find a solution! Then I can shoot some AI allies, a bot in a plane is a waste of a good plane.

BB.
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

any luck getting it working, Benny?

Looking on google it seems to be graphics driver-related, what card do you have?

M.C.S.A.

Thread Information