Entry Level Video Card - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entry Level Video Card

Quote Originally Posted by F_A_L_C_O_N
    Thats may be so but I know exactly what his problem is and the IGP I suggested is a very good way to know exactly what performance (VC wise) will your clients have, since most of the office PCs come with IGP

And he is not looking for something good that will carry him through 2 years, but something that will help him work out what kind of end product will the clients see.

Anyway he can install AGP card as well and then switch between the two.
    Sorry mate, took so long typing my reply I missed yours! Yeah a mate at Uni had a Dell with a similar IGP but was left with a spare AGP port and was very happy with it as long as he wasn't playing the newest games.

It is very unlikely that the IGP would fail, but as long as you get a board with an AGP slot you'll be able to replace it. Thinking realistically, with IGP and an AGP slot you'll be able to use dual monitors. However if dual monitors will be something that you'll need on a day-to-day basis, you might have less hassle if you get a dual monitor AGP card such as the Radeon 7000.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

^^ yeah, but how would I get the dual monitor card to simulate the 32MB VC?

That Radeon 7000 is a good suggestion, you can even get the LE version which is probably about as fast as typical Intel IGP anyway and as Centurion said, it can come with dual monitor capability

Anyway if you get IGP board you can always switch between the two cards just so to test your work, then go back to whatever AGP card you are using and work on dual monitor display.

There is no IGP solution with dual monitor capability for Intel as far as I am aware of.

BTW Cent I should be sorry, I was too harsh in pushing my point anyway, so definitely np
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; July 4th, 2005 at 09:03 PM.

I've been thinking it over... I'll just use an older PC for the compatibility testing. I've done that in the past with my own PCs, but when I move, I'll just have to use my daughter's.

So now I just want to find a good card for dual monitor set ups. The SAPPHIRE 100582L Radeon 9250 that jankerson recommended doesn't seem to be capable, but I'm not sure how to tell which is best for this sort of thing.

CenturionStrategy, which Radeon 7000 are you referring to? Newegg has over 20 listed.

I'm looking for a card with 2 D-Sub ports, right? DVI is irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Off Top

So now I just want to find a good card for dual monitor set ups. The SAPPHIRE 100582L Radeon 9250 that jankerson recommended doesn't seem to be capable,

What sort of dual/monitors are you wanting ,the 9250 seems capable.(see attachment)

http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9250.asp {click on "Brochure" )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wonderinguy34; July 5th, 2005 at 01:31 AM.

I'm looking for a card with 2 D-Sub ports, right? DVI is irrelevant?
    depends if you have analogue or DVi monitors.
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

So now I just want to find a good card for dual monitor set ups. The SAPPHIRE 100582L Radeon 9250 that jankerson recommended doesn't seem to be capable, but I'm not sure how to tell which is best for this sort of thing.

It will work fine for dual monitors, and it does come with an adapter so you can use 2 analogue monitors.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Flash is not as dependant on the videocard as Director (which can use either OpenGL or D3D), so the decision of making a test system is the best one you could do IMO. I myself have a testing system for Flash and webpages on dialup (PIII 500 with a Voodoo3), and it still reflects a typical client's system in some ways .

With that said, I'd definately recommend the Sapphire 9250, should suit your needs perfectly

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

All of the monitors I'm getting use a D-Sub for a connector.

Okay, so I get a Sapphire 9250 and plug my primary monitor into the D-Sub, and the second monitor into a D-Sub adapter --> DVI port?

Does the D-Sub adapter come with the video card or the monitor?

It comes with the video card. If not then you can get one for cheap

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

All of the monitors I'm getting use a D-Sub for a connector.

Okay, so I get a Sapphire 9250 and plug my primary monitor into the D-Sub, and the second monitor into a D-Sub adapter --> DVI port?

Does the D-Sub adapter come with the video card or the monitor?
    Yeah, that's correct, you can plug both monitors in that way - you can also choose which port is assigned to the primary monitor (in case you get a DVI monitor in the future).

The adapter should come with the video card, but if it doesn't you can pick them up for a few dollars.

Nick
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

Quote Originally Posted by F_A_L_C_O_N

BTW Cent I should be sorry, I was too harsh in pushing my point anyway, so definitely np
    No worries mate, I was a little sleep-deprived that evening and was a tad slow on the uptake

Thread Information