Entry Level Video Card
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry Level Video Card

Hybrid View

Question Entry Level Video Card

Hi,

I'm building my own for PC for the first time, and I've been making some progress. I learned as much as I could about RAM, and putting together PCs.

So far, I've decided to get a ASUS P4P800SE Intel mobo, a P4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz processor, and Kingston 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) for the RAM.

First I need some opinions on these choices. I'm 95% sure they're all compatible. Crucial.com isn't showing otherwise.

Second, now I need to figure out what video card to get. I won't be using this PC for gaming, just web browsing/Photoshop/watching avi's... I need a cheap, entry level video card that's reliable.

Third, with this mobo/ram/proc, will I need special cooling, or will a regular case and fan do the job?

Thanks in advance

Looks like you will be fine with your choices.

No you won't need extra cooling as long as you get a good case.

The SAPPHIRE 100582L Radeon 9250 128MB would be a good choice for a base card

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Thanks for the quick response..

any particular reason I'd need 128MBs for a basic card? I only ask because the 32 and 64MB cards are almost half the cost.

Here's a few side by side
    Not sure what the different features/specs mean. I just learned the ins and outs of RAM today.

It's better to have the added ram for watching videos and future proofing your system so you won't have to upgrade later on.

The card is only $39.50.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

is there a quick & painless way to see which video card is on my current PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Off Top
    is there a quick & painless way to see which video card is on my current PC?

Right click on your desktop and click properties.

Click advanced, then adapter.

Thx

Okay, this one's a Dell M991 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 with TV Out

I like the way it plays videos... what type difference would I see on a 128 card? I thought contrast/picture quality/response time were all determined by the monitor I get.

Thx

Okay, this one's a Dell M991 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 with TV Out

I like the way it plays videos... what type difference would I see on a 128 card? I thought contrast/picture quality/response time were all determined by the monitor I get.

It's both really, picture quality depends on the monitor because if you have a really low end monitor then it won't matter what card you have, it will look bad.

But then if you have a really good high end monitor and the video card won't handle the resolution and drive the video etc you will still be in the same boat.

With the next vers of Windows coming out next year (Longhorn) that will require a 128mb Video card min to enable all the new features of the OS it would be smart to get the 128mb card.

I never recommend anything below 128 MB cards these days as there isn't any reason not to get at least a 128mb card.

wait, I just thought of something. I do graphic and flash design, and one of the problems I've had in the past is that my machine is too far advanced from my clients, so sometimes they see different colors than I do, or flash moves slower.

Will this video card affect the richness of my monitor's colors, or affect flash animation speed?

wait, I just thought of something. I do graphic and flash design, and one of the problems I've had in the past is that my machine is too far advanced from my clients, so sometimes they see different colors than I do, or flash moves slower.

Will this video card affect the richness of my monitor's colors, or affect flash animation speed?
    Why dont you get IGP (integrated graphics) Intel motherboard then

This way you will have the onboard video card most office computers are equiped with and will know exactly how they will see your apps.
    Mind you 3Ghz P4 is not exactly what typical office comp comes with, not to mention some have 256MB of ram and less and those slooooow 5400 rpm hard drives.
    Still it will give you at least some idea whats going on on the client side of the bussiness.

BTW Intel onboard video cards are actually not too bad as far as image quality goes, just really slow in 3D and in any other HW accelaration stuff.
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; July 4th, 2005 at 07:39 PM.

I will improve somewhat.

Yeah, the card that Jankerson suggested should be nice and quick for what your needs are - a good balance between speed and price. The next few years will see higher demands on video processing, with High Def videos arriving, so this card should serve you well, and at such a low price!

Nick
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Thanks for the suggestion, Falcon. I was originally planning on that, but a friend advised me to not go with onboard videocards, because if the video card messes up, I'll have to swap out the entire mother board. Plus, I won't be able to upgrade.

I'd like to have a dual monitor set up, with one 128MB and one 32, and have them on 19 and 17" monitors respectively. But that's a bit out of my price range at the moment. Still weighing my options.

Quote Originally Posted by F_A_L_C_O_N
    Thats may be so but I know exactly what his problem is and the IGP I suggested is a very good way to know exactly what performance (VC wise) will your clients have, since most of the office PCs come with IGP

And he is not looking for something good that will carry him through 2 years, but something that will help him work out what kind of end product will the clients see.

Anyway he can install AGP card as well and then switch between the two.
    Sorry mate, took so long typing my reply I missed yours! Yeah a mate at Uni had a Dell with a similar IGP but was left with a spare AGP port and was very happy with it as long as he wasn't playing the newest games.

It is very unlikely that the IGP would fail, but as long as you get a board with an AGP slot you'll be able to replace it. Thinking realistically, with IGP and an AGP slot you'll be able to use dual monitors. However if dual monitors will be something that you'll need on a day-to-day basis, you might have less hassle if you get a dual monitor AGP card such as the Radeon 7000.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

^^ yeah, but how would I get the dual monitor card to simulate the 32MB VC?

Thread Information