Would you watch the drug olympics?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

View Poll Results: Yea, to drug olympics?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 61.11%
  • No

7 38.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you watch the drug olympics?

Question Would you watch the drug olympics?

On a purely scientific level I'd love to see just how far drugs can take an athlete. I see this as having the added benefit of actually giving some numbers to the 'enhancing' bit of performace enhancing. As it stands drugs are banned from the sporting arenas but it is actually unknown as to the measure of performance gain.

Obviously an athlete may die, but hey, people die all the time.

Just think, you would be remembered if you ran a blisteringly fast 1000m and then your heart exploded

Yes/No?
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

I'd watch it just to see somebody's heart explode.

I think it would be kind of entertaining to not only put the athletes on steroids and performance enhancing drugs, but also downers and other sorts of illegal narcotics. Ecstasy, weed, shrooms, oxycotton, acid, etc. That would be much more entertaining that watching somebody on steroids, I think.
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    Athlon64 3200+ Venice
    eVGA 6800GS 256MB PCI-E
    160GB Western Digital 7200RPM SATA II
    1GB (2x 512MB) Patriot Signature PC3200
    Antec TruePower II 550W
    CM Centurion 5
    Windows XP Home Edition SP2

You already are.

A few years ago The Times included a supplement with their Sunday paper, which was basically a mock-up of a newspaper from 25 years in the future.

The idea of it was to basically show their predictions of what will be happening in the world, and how it might have changed.

The only thing I remember from it was their prediction that the IOC will have lost the fight against drugs in sport, and changed policy such that drugs are permitted, and are an essential part of competing at the highest level.

I'm not sure I'd personally like to see that happen though. The idea is interesting but, as you say, pushing the limits like that would inevitably result in deaths. What good is a gold medal if you're not around to enjoy it
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Yeah - drugs would almost certainly see performance increase significantly, but from an ethical point of view would always be a big no-no. Basically you would assume athletes are amongst the healthiest members of societies - which would be true of drug-free olympics.

The competitive nature of any athletic event would however mean pushing yourself to the absolute limit. Where drugs are involved this can only be a bad thing - in the short term, athletes would do outstandingly well, but wouldn't live the healthiest of lives in the long term (and would likely suffer some serious health problems before they get old).

From a scientific point of view it would be pretty interesting to see how far you could push the human body.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

A Portugese footballer died on the pitch from heart attack this week. 24 years old. The 3rd in a year I think.
    Looking intelligent takes more than looking coool.

is that Poncherello from Chips in your avatar?
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Actually I see no moral problem with athletes taking drugs.
    It has ben argued a lot that if old Greeks were to have Olympics now all possible substances would be used.
    As an athlete you leave for victory, who cares about what happens when you are not able to preform anymore.

And as far as health is concerned how is this any differnt from say brookers working long hours, under stress, drinking tons of coffee and consuming coke and I dont mean the one you keep in the fridge.

If someone would do some serious statistics regarding death rates of brookers at the age of say 50, I am pretty sure results would show attrition rate is on par with many an armies around the world

im an athlete and the way i see it, if you cant do it by yourself, you havent accomplished anything. thats the same thing as letting one runner start 50 yards ahead of the others. sure he might finish first, but he didnt earn it.

You already are.
    ?? Are you taking a stab at me or do you mean that you believe a good portion of athletes cheat (given it's not allowed)?

im an athlete and the way i see it, if you cant do it by yourself, you havent accomplished anything. thats the same thing as letting one runner start 50 yards ahead of the others. sure he might finish first, but he didnt earn it.
    That's why this olympics would be drug-only entries. Drugs can only enhance existing attributes. Giving say, speed to an 80 year old isn't going to make them very competitive.

And yes if you win vs other drug enhanced competitors you have earned it in exactly the same way as a drug-free event. The playfield isn't level for any event otherwise everybody would finish in the same place.

But on the scientific data note, I do think we need this data. Otherwise the 'performance enhancing' bit isn't measurable.

As a compromise why don't we get each contestant to do their event twice. Once without and once with enhancements. That sounds like a good sciencefair experiment.

Thanks for voting
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Originally posted by SexyMF
    As a compromise why don't we get each contestant to do their event twice. Once without and once with enhancements. That sounds like a good sciencefair experiment.
    It would be intresting to see how much enhancement the athletes would get with the drugs.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Originally posted by F_A_L_C_O_N
    Actually I see no moral problem with athletes taking drugs.
    They are kids mainly. Maybe not yours but still.

Originally posted by Ponch
    They are kids mainly. Maybe not yours but still.
    Well lets bring out the kids argument shell we.

Its OK to make kids addicted to all sort of stuff from sugar to TV, its OK to make them pretty much the slaves of consumer society and greedy little buggers, its OK to have 100s of 1000s dieing from hunger, but its NOT OK to let them use performance enhancing drugs in sports even if that is what they want to do.
    And its not like many of them wont end up using them anyway. But instead of being a controlled and well supervised process it will be the kind of hidden affair that will get more of them killed as is necessary.
    Oh and as for regular controls athletes have to go through, only fools get cought, so its not like anyone is preventing drugs being used in sports anyway.
    Mind you once again, same as with all the prohibited substances, the premium one has to pay is filling someones pockets, and that someone is by no means too keen on having the whole thing legalized.
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; July 1st, 2005 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by F_A_L_C_O_N
    Well lets bring out the kids argument shell we.

Its OK to make kids addicted to all sort of stuff from sugar to TV, its OK to make them pretty much the slaves of consumer society and greedy little buggers, its OK to have 100s of 1000s dieing from hunger, but its NOT OK to let them use performance enhancing drugs in sports even if that is what they want to do
    Said who ? Looks like you managed to be wrong 4 times in one sentance. I was used to better from you.

F_A_L_C_O_N has a good point Ponch. A controlled environment is far better than an uncontrolled environment. If drugs were allowed then I doubt they would be used like the general population that abuse natural drugs. I'm refering to Vitamin tablets. All the things you take for a common cold for instance. It is accepted by decree of the layman that taking 4-6x the recommended dose is great. It will get you better way quicker, what do the people know who wrote the dosage instructions. They just want to sell you more tablets........ If it's not your kids doing that then it's probably the kids nextdoor.

So why not simple say. Drug olympics are an R20 event only. Just like the movies.

So Ponch, Falcon is just saying we let all sorts of things happen everyday. The 'it's ok' bit is referring to society which hardly steps in to change such activity (or lack thereof)

We are all somebodies kids - just when are we allowed to be adults and think/act for ourselves?
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Thread Information