Auto guys wanted
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Auto guys wanted

Auto guys wanted

Question:

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege ES. I was stupid and scuffed the front bumper when I put it up on some ramps so I could change the oil. I have some touch-up paint I got from the dealer a while back and was wondering if I could use that on the bumper. I always heard you can't paint plastic, and the bumper feels like plastic/rubber. If I can use it, will it stay on like it would with metal? Or will it chip off easy.

Re: Auto guys wanted

Originally posted by MTECH
    Or will it chip off easy.
    This would be my guess

As far as I heard painting plastic parts of a car, so that the paint actually remains there for more then couple of months, is a really hard work. Lots of priming needed.

As long as the surface is very clean and free of silicone (some waxes have this) the paint should stick fairly well. You shouldn't get any cracking unless it's flexed again.

yes, get it clean from grease, wax, silicone, everything. some brake cleaner (not carb cleaner) should clean it up.

also, get a good plastic primer, this will be your key to longevity. this goes on first, then your regular paint after. it will act like glue for the finish paint.

dont feel bad if it doesnt work out right the first time, painting plastic is one of the toughest.

I forgot about the primer (DOH)!! Very good suggestion krupted.

Keep in mind that almost every plastic car bumper is painted, so it will work out fine if you prep your surface well. It's too expensive to actually color the plastic and try to get that nice shiny finish, so most of them (98%) start out as a black plastic blank.

Good Luck

maybe someday though. gm is developing a system to replace metal bodywork. the colored lexan will be the skin on the cars, and scratches only need to be buffed out as the color is all the way deep. Not sure when its actually going to be implemented, but eventually i dont see any cars being made with sheetmetal bodies anymore....

Thread Information