The debate's over: Globe is warming
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The debate's over: Globe is warming

The debate's over: Globe is warming

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/the...VjBHNlYwNtcA--

They agree that the problem is real. A recent study led by James Hansen of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies confirms that, because of carbon dioxide emissions and other greenhouse gases, Earth is trapping more energy from the sun than it is releasing back into space.
    Here is a link to Hansen's published study:
    http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abstracts/...azarenkoR.html

Science wins over parochialism everytime.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Science will have no impact on the flat earth true believers running your government. Faith trumps reality every time for those folk.

yeah well when they realize that everybody dies when this planet melts its caps then theyll perk up thier ears a bit.

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone

Global warming is just as likely to be caused by the natural cycles the earth goes through.

Cause aside though, we'd better start thinking about what we're going to do about it.

*starts putting jars of vegemite into storage*

I've had vegemite. I don't know what you guys see in it!

Originally posted by Bink
    Global warming is just as likely to be caused by the natural cycles the earth goes through.

Cause aside though, we'd better start thinking about what we're going to do about it.
    i think its a little of both. i know our pollution isnt helping our planet, yet i find it hard to believe we can cause global climate change.

theres been some good shows on history channel about ocean currents and how they control the worlds temperatures a great deal. these currents have seemingly before been altered and caused an ice age within 100 years. freaky stuff

Ask the vegeterians and it's all the fault of cattle farmers. The ozone layer is being destroyed because of cow farts!! Methane gas!! Ask the EPA and it's your dirty nasty car that needs another 20,000 bux worth of smog **** on it.!! But they'll allow black smoke spewing diesels without even giving a second look. Ask the liberals and it's all those rich factories billowing smoke stacks!! And the list goes on.

Know what? The idiots doing the research have not gone back in history far enough to realize these are naturally occuring cycles. This planet was frozen and thawed more than once.

not to question anyone, but out of sincere curiosity, do they have records of the earth heating up? I know there are ice ages, and then the earth defrosts so to speak and the cycle continues. However, I have never seen a Discovery episode where they talk about the earth being a much hotter planet and cooling down.

Something also wierd is that our polarities should have switched a long time ago, and haven't yet. Saw that on the discovery channel too I love that station.

Originally posted by proKrastinate
    However, I have never seen a Discovery episode where they talk about the earth being a much hotter planet and cooling down.
    that was my understanding too, that a greenhouse effect is a one-way ticket as it's a vicious circle. Just look at Venus, which suffered a runaway greenhouse effect.

The surface temp gets up to 490 celsius (that's 914 fahreneheit for those of you working in old money )
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

[i] Just look at Venus, which suffered a runaway greenhouse effect.

The surface temp gets up to 490 celsius (that's 914 fahreneheit for those of you working in old money ) [/B]
    It's also millions of miles closer to the sun..........

yes, but the point was that a greenhouse effect, once it's past a certain point, is a vicious circle.

Mercury is millions of miles closer to the sun than Venus, but it's still over a hundred celsius colder than Venus.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

BTW how do you feel about the possible result being a new ice age, due to the melting of northern ice sheet and consequent weakining or even end to the Atlantic current, because of the desalinization process?

Weakening North Atlantic Current

Not that it would be new, since technically last one never really ended.
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; June 14th, 2005 at 10:13 PM.

well as I understand it we're overdue for an ice age, by about 2,000 years.

However, as ice ages only last about 10,000 years, would this be enough to counteract an overall trend of warming? I have no idea

M.C.S.A.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200...IzBHNlYwNjbQ--

And now I hear that Creationists might overturn the teaching of evolution in Kansas. WTF is this country coming to? Might wanna start stocking up on books, we're heading back into the Dark Ages...

Thread Information