Help.......Voodoo vs. TNT
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Help.......Voodoo vs. TNT

Help.......Voodoo vs. TNT

I'm buying a new system (350 P2 w/Asus P2 B motherboard) I have been searching for a video card and video accellertor card. The one I was leaning toward was the STB Velocity 4400 Riva TNT chipset,but recently learned STB is being bought out. I have 2 questions....1)while playing alot of EA Sports games which rquires the glide is the 4400 a smart choice or should i look at different cards and if so which if any do you recommend?
    2)how will this buy out of STB by 3dfx affect the market on video cards?
    any input will be extremly helpfull......

Dunno about the 4400.

As far as the acquisition of STB goes, it's currently anyone's guess. According to their press releases, 3Dfx are still planning to sell the Voodoo3 chips to other manufacturers as well as selling Voodoo3 boards through STB, so there should still be some competition. Time will tell if the STB boards come out cheaper than other brands.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Chanse Guest
    The 3dfx buyout of STB will allow 3dfx t openetrate the OEM market. I think the move was made because 3dfx leveraging glide in selling cards will die out with direct x becoming more and more competitive.(farenheit will just blow it away) Glide only video games will probably cease to exist fairly shortly. Voodoo2 is an extremely fast chipset, but i bought a TNT because it supports all the latest features and has a top level visual quality. A voodoo2 (especially SLI )will push a few more frames than a TnT , but the tnt has better visual quality, higher resolutions, and more color depth. And don't forget, except for all the human-alien hybrids posting to the web, we regular people can only see 24FPS anyway.

I know this is an expensive solution but I would pick up a Canopus Spectra 2500 and a cheap Voodoo II board and use together. The Spectra has the witchdoctor feature that allows you to run glide from voodoo through the Spectra so you won't degrade your 2D. It also has great TV out so you can play all games on your TV (and monitor at same time).
    I only suggest this if glide is a must otherwise stick with a good TNT board only.
    If you are going to get a Voodoo now, you will need a cheap 2D/3D card to go with it. A Diamond Stealth S220 would be a cheap short term solution. You could then wait a few months till nvidia releases TNT-2 and then have the best all around card available in the "New" Spectra if they include all the features of the 2500.
    See www.canopuscorp.com
    Good luck.

Thank you for everyone who responed....i get more useful info. from the message board than any where else.....my next concern is i really like the features of the TNT but i'm worried about the overcloking and heatsink problems.......i guess i need to wait alittle longer before i decide what to do...as far as the Canopus card i would love to have but my wallet gets abit angry to give up so much cash....i guess i'm looking for the best i can do for my system for around $150-200, either for a combo card or a 3d accelerator card to accompany my 2d card...why are things so difficult!!!!!....lol

Canopus Spectras are selling at several of the on-line sites for around $163.00, and should start falling soon. They are still very tought to find stock on though as they are so popular. Alienware in Florida has stock but want in the $190's.

Hello,
    To answer your original question, NO TNT based 3d card will give you Glide support, that is for 3dfx cards (Voodoo, VoodooII)only. TNT cards support Direct3d and OpenGL wonderfully however. As for your over clocking concern, I'm not sure what everyone is so excited about. The chip already runs about as fast as it should go now, I get about 68fps in GLQuake with my STB 4400. Is it worth the risk of frying the card to get a faster frame rate? Overclocking doesn't improve color depth or image clarity, which is where the TNT really shines.
    Just a though......
    Scott

Go with a Riva TNT card but be careful, I have not had good luck with Diamond. The Viper V550 is a good card but their support REALLY sucks. Try a Spectra or the STB 4400, even the Creative Labs card.

Thread Information