Technology, which job should I work towards?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Technology, which job should I work towards?

Technology, which job should I work towards?

I'm thinking that if I'm gonna go to college and get a degree in something to do with working with computers. Where should I go with this?

I want something well paying (obviously, over/around 100,000 a year) Since my dad makes about 50,000 a year, that will be a lot easier on me.

Currently I really don't specialize in any particular area. But I am a quick learner, it would be nice to have some skill of where Im going.

But what are some good choices? What are some good things to learn first. I can install windows and set it up like a champ, dual boot it perfectly. Build computers easily, find the right hardware, and pop it together.
    Took a 2.5 GHz skt 478 Intel computer that couldnt even run old games well, and transformed it into running all of their games perfectly for 150 dollars.

But I know merely those skills Im not gonna make a great living off of. So what is there out there? What do you guys do with computers?
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

Networkers always seem to have jobs. Programming is tough, but there's always work in that too. Web development is still very big.

well, you got a ways to go buddy- i dont think the ability to dual-boot windows will get you 100k a year!

i would look into msce certification first. if you have that, which isnt hard to get, you should be looking at a 40k a year base job. that isnt bad, at very least you can support yourself and not sponge off anyone. be weary of hitting that 100k mark though, its not as easy to make that kind of money as it may seem. myself currently just hit 60k a year, and thats if the work is steady throughout. its ok money but seemingly ever more it just isnt enough to live the way i feel i work for. i guess though you cant compare construction work to an office job. man am i glad im not stuck behind a desk all day, no matter how much i would make. something to think about...

well, i am behind a desk in an office, as a programmer (Oracle, Developer 6I), and althought i dont want to compare Estados Unidos to Panama, i make about 850.00 per month gross. (10200 yearly).

Of course live cost here is much cheaper here.
    100,000 per year here can only be thought for a senator here (120,000 per month actually).

Does a MSCE certification really helps?
    ...and remember...
    ...Panama Rules...

i dont know for sure. i worked with a guy who went for his msce certification, and he was adamant that he would start at 40k a year. i can believe that but he also said he will be making 120k+ a year within half a decade, so i guess i shouldnt believe him.

It does help, for sure. I am working on the job and doing my MCSE at the same time, and both help me learn in equal measure.

Generally there's no substitute for real-world experience (a la Wrathchild 67's signature), but the theory can be useful too, especially when you're a relative rookie like me. I would never claim that an MCSE will teach you everything about Windows networks in the real world, but it's still a worthwhile thing to do if you are starting at the beginning.

I see plenty of jobs advertised in the UK which ask for MCSA/MCSE, so I'm sure it would help get you on the ladder. Salaries aren't that great where I live here in Bournemouth, but with MCSE you should certainly expect at least 30k. In cities that'd probably be nearer 50k if you were lucky.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

MCSE etc is all good but if you want to do the interesting stuff, be in demand and mainly work from home learn about Unix/Linux, especially networking and become a sysadmin /systems analyst. You get to design, implement, and maintain networks and servers, fiddle with expensive equipment and meet interesting freaks around the server rack in the data center

For something along this route most schools offer courses in shell programming (extremely useful as about 90% of stuff involves some form of this in *nix), also trying your hand with some other common server stuff like PERL, Python, and PHP will round it out. Beatiful thing about web-type programming is it doesn't care what platform you use. If you want to write custom apps (there is some really good money in this field) go for C/C++ as well. Then other stuff relating to the hardware side of stuff like network topology, a bit of intermediate electrical to know about cabling/power/distance issues and you've pretty much got a good groundwork.
    Last edited by kaulbach; October 12th, 2006 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaulbach
    and meet interesting freaks around the server rack in the data center
    lol

I visited the Sophos anti virus head offices once (in Oxfordshire), it was very obvious who were the software guys and who were the sales guys
    Last edited by dannyboy27; October 12th, 2006 at 08:10 AM.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Thread Information