Chernobyl - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl

Originally posted by krupted

by now they have encased the whole thing with so much concrete that its gonna be awhile before we have to worry about it. like said you can just stand on top of it, its not leaking, and those men need to be there to make sure it stays this way
    Actually I remember hearing a few years ago that the sarcophagus had been built so poorly that it's already beginning to crumble. It's apparently a full time job just trying to patch up the holes in it. Bit worrying really.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

ive been reading that too now... man i wouldnt want to be the one with the spackle

Yeah, I find it crazy that you can wander around quite safely on the asphalt, yet the grass is quite dangerous. Makes you wonder what's happened to all the bugs that live in it...

Thanks for that link dannyboy! Some interesting pics in there - the control room picture is particularly creepy.

It's weird to think that there are scientists working there on a day to day basis monitoring the plant, you can quite freely wander through most parts of it with near to no protection.

I heard that had the firefighters (many of whom died soon after) not extinguised the blaze, the plant could have melted all the way down into the water table, and contaminated the water supply for all of Europe - I don't know how much truth there is in this, but it sounds pretty scary .

I think they're gonna re-build the sarcophagus some time soon, as it's pretty dodgy these days.

It's also strange to think that the Chernobyl complex consisted of numerous reactors (I think 5 in total), and the others continued to generate power up until the year 2000 (14 years after the accident at complex 4!).

It's possible to visit the site and the ghost town for as little as 50 for a day trip from Kiev - I'm very tempted by it!

Nick

Edit: Picture updated you smartarses!
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

yeah it would be really cool to go there, I've always been interested in this stuff as I used to work for part of Siemens, where we made spares for BNFL and Magnox power stations, and also the reactor control systems for nuclear subs.

lol I just clicked the link in your post, that control room looks very homely

At least the other reactors have been ok anyway. The problem is that it's far more expensive to decommission a reactor than to just leave it running, so that's probably why the others have had such a long stay of execution.

I think the accident also only happened as the engineers were "tinkering" . From memory, they were trying a different shutdown procedure to normal, to see if it was quicker. Unfortunately, I think the original procedure was better
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Originally posted by CenturionStrategy
    Thanks for that link dannyboy! Some interesting pics in there - the control room picture is particularly creepy.
    nice speakers & TV for a control room
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Thats neat, creepy, and cool . I wanna go there. Going to a town to where there is nothing. And there is no one else. Heh, just wait until people are saying "OHHH NOESSS!! THERE ARE GHOSTS THAT HAUNT YOU IN THE TOWWWNNNN "

Edit: Are those TVs still on!? o_O Cause THIS one just freaked the hell outta me o_O. Im hoping thats just the TVs still being on
    Edit 2: Mainly why I am scared of the TV is that it looks almost like Michael Jackson in the TV...Help...
    Last edited by ThePerson98; June 22nd, 2005 at 12:06 AM.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

haha, i m even too scared to click on that link now.

yeah don't forget that it didn't blow up, neither did the whole plant get shut down.

The biggest and most annoying thing is the way Chernobyl became synomous with Zepplin. A single incident producing unfounded shunning.

The concrete is cracking only because the engineers didn't have the luxury of years of planning. It needed to happen really quickly.

Nuclear power is the only source of power capable of feeding our demands. Even then, we need several reactors.

The new nuclear reactors are a much better design.

Chernobyl was not the result of a doomed technology. It was human error - almost as always.

Or better yet experiment going badly wrong.

Originally posted by SexyMF

Nuclear power is the only source of power capable of feeding our demands. Even then, we need several reactors.
    I couldn't agree more.

In the UK we seem to be trying to feed the country's ever-increasing electricity demands with windmills. Clearly that strategy is not going to work.

Thankfully there do seem to be mumblings from the government that we may also need to start building fission reactors again, at least until fusion becomes a viable alternative.

M.C.S.A.

Originally posted by Martin_89
    nice speakers & TV for a control room
    Whoops!!!!!! For those who noticed, my bedroom isn't the control room of Chernobyl.

I did mean the this picture of the control room.

I've had to re-host the picture in question - the site I got it off was mentioned earlier by dannyboy, but here's the chernobyl slideshow again anyway.

Nick
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

linky no work, nick.....

where did your username come from, btw?

M.C.S.A.

It should now - wow I'm making a mess of this thread! My name is something to do with an old computer game I used to play as a kid at the time - Age of Empires 1 for those who remember it .

I too reckon Nuclear energy is going to be the way forward. Coal and Oil are becoming too expensive to be feasible if they're to be run cleanly.

I quite like the idea of off-shore windfarms, and even those on-shore. I cannot believe that environmentalists are complaining about the level of noise/bludeoning of gulls, argh - there's no pleasing them! The fact that they just sit there with very few workers maintaining them on a day to day basis seems quite cool. It's just a shame that you need so many to produce any decent amount of power.

Nuclear energy seems to be the cleanest way of generating a LOT of power as far as I'm concerned.

Nick

yeah I'm not averse to some offshore wind farms as part of a 'rounded' strategy for electricity generation. But I think land- based ones are an eyesore.

Some guy defending wind power on TV recently said that he'd much rather look out on a wind farm than a pylon. Maybe so, but that's a nonsensical point, as even if all our electricity came from wind, we'd still need pylons to move it around the national grid.

M.C.S.A.

Yeah, that's a pretty stupid defense, lol! I can see how people would find them an eyesore but I find the things quite pretty - must be a novelty for me and old news for others. I was driving back home, I think along the M25 this weekend, and came round a corner and noticed a huge windmill just by the side of the road which kind of threw me (not literally!), they certainly are very tall.

I just find off-shore wind farms intriguing, just like I do off-shore oil rigs.

But the funkiest power plants by far are the Geo-thermal ones in Iceland - You always seem to get natural swimming pools such as the Blue Lagoon next to them

Thread Information