Chernobyl
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl

Chernobyl

Hey all,

I assume most of you will have heard of Chernobyl, and the meltdown of the Nuclear plant over there back in 1986.

I was always fascinated by it, but have never found much about it on the net, it seems to be something that everyone wants to forget.

However, I stumbled across this awesome site last year where a girl bikes it across the ghost city and visits the actual power plant. It's kind of written as a story (scroll to the bottom of each page, and click 'next page'), with some great photos in it:

Chernobyl Story

Pictures:
    Abandoned army equipment
    The sarcophagus
    The ghost town
    Abandoned School

What is so amazing is that everythign is there virtually untouched since the accident in April 1986 - It's just like a timewarp, the town is just frozen in time.

Nick
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Yeah Ive seen this one before

Some girl, ha

We've got two of those mens magaines here in Australia. It's either FHM or Ralph and they had an article in it a while back where they sent two journalists over there to write a story about the whole thing. Was really interesting, there is actually still people living near the actual plant or something, and it's cracking! Imagine just, going inside the concrete tomb thing, that would be nuts.

Originally posted by TaNG
    We've got two of those mens magaines here in Australia. It's either FHM or Ralph and they had an article in it a while back where they sent two journalists over there to write a story about the whole thing. Was really interesting, there is actually still people living near the actual plant or something, and it's cracking! Imagine just, going inside the concrete tomb thing, that would be nuts.
    Yeah, I saw a documentary a few weeks back. There are people who still actually work in the plant . The reporter even went into the main control room where things started going wrong - with minimal protection (I think it was just a face mask and a geiger counter).

Nick
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

wouldnt she die after that?

its a thing ive never learned about, always knew the basics but thats about it.

when i was at primary school there was a group of kids from chernobyl that got brought over to scotland for a charity holiday thing and we all got to meet them. was quite interesting. it was said that by bringing them to scotland for 2 weeks they could live upto a year longer or somthing like that

they were all better than us at football too
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Saw something about this on the history channel recently; creepy stuff...
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

i love learning about chernobyl. it was a real nuclear meltdown that actually happened- not like the rest where the safety mechanisms stop the meltdown early or usually before it happens.

The number of people that died wasnt amazing, but nobody upwind suffered injury. the radiation just folllowed the flow of the wind wich was directly for that town.

by now they have encased the whole thing with so much concrete that its gonna be awhile before we have to worry about it. like said you can just stand on top of it, its not leaking, and those men need to be there to make sure it stays this way
    Last edited by krupted; June 7th, 2005 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks for the link, that was an extremely interesting read indeed, and some amazing pics. I like to learn stuff about Chernobyl, because I was only 2 years old when it happened so I can barely imagine how it went

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

So basically whatever was cleaned up, its relatively safe to walk on and you should be OK, not receiving too much radiation as long as you know your way, right?

BTW do this guys who work there recieve as much radiation daily as say transatlantic pilots do, more, less?

You don't really die from radiation, just the probability your children are misformed is multiplied by 2, but as the risk is only 1%, it just goes to 2%, which is nothing.
    That was said by my physics teacher at university during an exercise with radioactive elements. But he didn't care anymore as he was surely more than 55.
    Oh, and if I remember, this only apply to cerain types of radiations (alpha I think)
    Looking intelligent takes more than looking coool.

This is where I get all confused. What exactly is radiation? It's not a solid, it's not liquid, what is it? How does it mess with you?

radioactivity comes in many forms, and instead of me trying to explain the basics that i know heres a link- http://www.darvill.clara.net/nucrad/types.htm it should give you an idea.

some types can kill you instantly, like high levels of gamma rays can fry you like a egg ... well high levels of any can kill you quickly

Cool thanks. Reading now.

P.S. Look at my post count. 1234. HAHA!

That site is very good, only got around to reading last night.
    It is pretty creepy how quiet it all is there, wouldnt have minded being on one of those tour groups though i think it'd be pretty cool.

Well done Tang thats very cool indeed
    A64 3000+ at 3.2ghz
    1gb OCZ Plat 2
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Galaxy 7800GTX
    600W Enermax
    Regassed prommie with R507a

Ah the new updatedness of my sig.

Apparently, as long as you stick to the roads you can get quite close to Chernobyl with virtually no increase in radiation dose at all. This is due to the fact that the asphalt doesn't absorb much radiation.

However, as soon as you stray off onto the grass, the dose increases about five times - so do not walk on the grass kids

I saw a video about this when I was at Uni (studying Environmental Protection). In the days following the disaster, volunteers were asked to follow a path through the complex and try to clear up as much radioactive waste as possible within a set period of about a minute or so.

They were paid VERY handsomely, even by Russian standards, but you could see from their faces that they knew they probably wouldn't be around to enjoy the money for very many years

They also dropped a remote control robot down into the remains of the core, and found that a superheated molten lump of the reactor had gone straight through about 3 floors, much like the Aliens blood in the Aliens films. It settled and cooled into a blob which was nicknamed the elephant's foot

There's also a good slideshow of pics here

edit: sorry Nick, just realised that your link is the same one I read a few years back about the radiation levels on the asphalt and grass
    Last edited by dannyboy27; June 10th, 2005 at 05:31 PM.
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Thread Information