locking up of the WTC thread
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: locking up of the WTC thread

locking up of the WTC thread

Why exactly was it locked

Is now religion some sort of taboo noone can make a joke off?

And why is it OK to be offended while someones religion is in question and at the same not be offended while US centric views will tramp over everyone elses rights to live as they want.

Remember Europeans know a bit about where Eurocentric views will take you, we started more then a fair share of wars in this world.

Re: locking up of the WTC thread

Originally posted by F_A_L_C_O_N
    Is now religion some sort of taboo noone can make a joke off?
    To be brief, yes. As we said when we opened the Central Lounge, religion and politics are the two most famously dangerous topics or most likely to cause offense or personal attacks or thread or even forum shutdown for any discussion board ... a "joke" about anyone's religious beliefs is often read as criticism or mockery of said beliefs, leading to threads that are more moderating/editing trouble than they're worth. Frankly, I saw two of our most eloquent and most opinionated posters heading down the path of butting heads and accusing each other, and I called a time out.

There's sort of a similar potential, addressing the second part of your post, to your numerous statements that Americans should look beyond their habitual U.S.-centric views ... true and good advice as far as the fact that we Yanks often do fall into the bad habit of thinking mostly of ourselves or assuming other countries should be more like us, but a potential source of flames or attacks if misread as simply "USA = Bad" or "Boo, stupid Americans." One of the strengths of this forum is its international membership; I don't want it to get bogged down in anti-fundamentalist jokes or anti-Slovenian jokes or anything.

Thanks for reading,
    Eric

One usually comes only as the response to what is clearly a biased view, so to strenghten the counter point and not with the intention to introduce another bias .

As for anti Slovenian jokes, honestly I couldnt care less.

BTW Ive seen my share of pritching on the topic of the tower of Babel and NY. So really its not like I was saying something out of the norm.

Any belief structure has its extremes. So all you really do by banning the jokes on religious views is to strenghten their position and give them the status of an arbiter and not a partner in discussion.
    At the same time you open the opposing views to all sort of mockery, simply on account of them not being able to call on their religious beliefs.
    Censhorship is the word comming to mind.

there are plenty of other forums within 10 seconds of clicking that allow discussion of politics and religion. limiting talk here does nothing to inhibit freedom of speech or to promote censorship of those who truly wish to express their views.

this is a global hardware forum. the central lounge was opened up to improve member participation and better develop a friendly, helpful community. there is no membership requirement for religious or political beliefs. nor are there requirements for race, lifestyle, age, gender, or nationality. Thus all members (as well as lurkers) should feel welcomed and not intimidated.

many comments, although they may seem innocent or in jest to some, may appear to have undertones of condescencion or ingorance to others. I do not believe this is the type of atmosphere the admins would like for HWC.

aren't there already enough arguments in the AMD/Intel, nvidia/ATI, PC/Mac etc. etc. threads?

You are really missing the point by a mile.

If you start the debate on whatever topic, you can not suddenly limit the scope of opnion, just because, even if valid, the arguments dont agree with your belief system. Its particulary unfair when biased opnions are tolerated, simply because they are the part of current pop culture and then opposing views are not.

And yes thats called censorship.

Its like telling Michael Moore to take his book somewhere lese, US doesnt like this kind of arguments. But then again he is accepted by the Democrats.

So its like doing exactly that to a lot less known, but a lot more unbisaed author - Gore Vidal.
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; May 31st, 2005 at 04:42 PM.

to me after reading that whole thread, it looked as if the topic started as a means of discussing the tower and then yet again religon came into argument again I think egrevstad is a little tired of the religon bashing/patronizing- and others such as i am too. especially when the new freedom tower is supposed to be a universal sign of freedom and religon shouldnt even be in the scope.

Even worse, religon was being argued even though it was only brought up as a lite joke that seemingly didnt get taken so lightly

>>If you start the debate on whatever topic, you can not suddenly limit the scope of opnion, just because, even if valid, the arguments dont agree with your belief system.

You're missing the point by 20 km: It's not about limiting opinion that disagrees with "my" or "U.S." or "Buddhist" or any one belief system, it's about agreeing to refrain from mockery of or attacks on anyone's belief system. You say censorship, I say good manners.

Thanks for reading,
    Eric

OK we agree to disagree and lets leave at that.

And as for missing the point, we really should agree to either the metric or imperial system so we are exectly clear by how much someone is missing the point and not end up as Mars Climate Orbiter.

Righto, you start bickering and it gets out of hand especially on sensitive matters, if you can't point and counter point without remarks to another member then the thread will be closed whoever starts it.

I wasn't around when it happened, but I'm guessing this kind of thread discussion is what got the previous Off-Topic forum closed.

Paul
    ....my get-up-and-go musta got up and went....

Yep, the good ol' days...
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Originally posted by Huge
    Yep, the good ol' days...
    I see he registered again.... but no post .
    Anyone knows if he got out of jail ?

Falcon, your uncool reaction to Ol'man's uncool reaction on your joke got the tread locked. That's as simple as that.
    We almost got one of the first treads locked because it was asking only non believers to expose their beliefs, which was taken as censorship by believers who then invaded the tread, not accepting the censorship... so where do we go ?
    Mods don't have to attend a 10 days trial to find out who's got the right or not every time a tread goes on the edge.
    Chill.
    Looking intelligent takes more than looking coool.

My little joke was the start of it all

I'm sorry I posted it. I gotta side with egrevstad though, with the way the discussion was headed, it was pretty clear it wasn't about to simmer down.

people are even getting defensive in this thread which only refers to the actual comments.

does this count as political discussion now?

Originally posted by Ponch

Falcon, your uncool reaction to Ol'man's uncool reaction on your joke got the tread locked.
    Guess you are right.
    Remember though, I will go overboard to prove there is the counter argument to every argument and to prove someone, at least IMO, isnt playing fair.

Dont take it as a personal insult, but rather as forced education

Ill give you 3 examples:
    Almost no discussion exists in US on why well over 50% of ppl sitting in jail are there because of drug prohibition.
    Almost noone cares felons cant vote in some states (or is it all of them)
    And even when US independance was won mainly by terrorisem against their then English masters, it is unthinkable that Iraquis would now be doing the same thing, it has to be some evil element amongst them, no

Now, you are right this is not the political forum, but thats precisely why its even more interesting to see the views of the ppl who would otherwise never post on those forums.
    To me being fair is especially important, so I like to check, sometimes with more provocative reply, like the one given to Olman, how deep is the sense of fairness going with others.
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; June 1st, 2005 at 09:08 AM.

Thread Information