ATi Catalyst 5.5 available
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ATi Catalyst 5.5 available

I am sticking with the 5.4's right now as they are working great with no problems running HL2, Doom 3 and UT 2004.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

I always use the latest, but Call of Duty with Punck Buster enabled has a bad track record with ATI drivers. You get booted off multi-player games all the time for a Punck Buster error. The last few have beed fine though and so is this new one.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

cheers Mufu, I've just installed them. Will post back if I have any problems.

Something that struck me while I was installing them - isn't it about time ATi updated the cruddy, pixellated background image which appears during the driver install. I'm probably nitpicking, but it just doesn't look very professional
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

More often then not, you're installing proper display drivers when you're running with the default Windows VGA drivers.

Just about everything looks pixilated

Using these now with no problems in Chronicles of Rid****, NFS:UG2, Half-Life 2 and FlatOut.

Catalyst Control Center is still so lethargic though. :-/

Is Catalyst AI a feature only available with the Control Center? Or is it available in the non-sluggish regular driver/control panel combo?

BTW- Can't wait for Cat 5.6! I'm sure Mufu knows why.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Originally posted by wrathchild_67
    Is Catalyst AI a feature only available with the Control Center? Or is it available in the non-sluggish regular driver/control panel combo?
    It's Control Center only - at least in terms of adjustment. Maybe there is a reg hack or tool to configure it with the normal control panel. Edit - I've just looked at ATiTool and it has the option to change Cat AI level.

Originally posted by wrathchild_67
    BTW- Can't wait for Cat 5.6! I'm sure Mufu knows why.
    Yeah, what do you think of that rumour? Sounds a bit far fetched to me - I'm not sure they'd hold such optimisations back, even if it is for the R520 launch. I'm sure it'll just be a few specific performance improvements.

Would be good to see them beat nV in D3 - who'd have thunk it?

I'm using the Catalyst 5.5's and tried to change the AI level with ATITool. It don't work. I've got 2GB of RAM, but is it really worth installing the bulky Control Center for these tweaks? Is the performance increase that great?
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Thread Information