Laptop service manuals link
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop service manuals link

Laptop service manuals link

Found a website with some free downloads of laptop service manuals. It's not all-inclusive, but for those who might be interested:

Service Manuals here.

thanks, this could come in handy

Great find.

No luck on my old Gateway Solo 9100 though. I will download a couple of manuels and see if they are similar.

I seem to have a problem.

The rar files I download will not unzip with Winzip.

I donwloaded unrar and WinRar.

WinRar prompts for a second part of the file. I can not get the files uncompressed to view them.

Should I trust this site?

Originally posted by Leoslocks

WinRar prompts for a second part of the file. I can not get the files uncompressed to view them.

I'm not sure. I downloaded the file for the thinkpad ti40-41 and 42 and I can't unzip the file.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Brilliant! Thanks for the link, that's useful because i'm going to be dismantling my T21 within the next few days to try and sort out the intermittent screen problem. The last laptop I dismantled ended up being a write off...

Temp Rig:
    AthlonXP 1800, Asus A7N266-VM
    256 PC2100, 40Gb 5400RPM HDD
    GeForce MX440 (for now)
    Tagan 330W PSU, XP SP2

Broken Rig:
    AMD 2600+ Barton
    Abit NF7 V2.0 Mainboard
    XFX GeForce FX5200, 256 DDR
    LiteOn DVD Writer
    WD 80Gig
    Seagate 120Gig
    512Mb Kingston PC3200
    Tagan 330W PSU
    WinXP - Pro SP2

Laptop : HP Pavilion ze2000 - Centrino 1.6Ghz XP Home/SP2

Originally posted by Leoslocks

Yep, they seem to be multipart RAR files. Just download both parts (they're on separate pages, link just above the download link), make sure they're in the same dir, and use winRAR to extract the PDF.

Temp Rig:
    AthlonXP 1800, Asus A7N266-VM
    256 PC2100, 40Gb 5400RPM HDD
    GeForce MX440 (for now)
    Tagan 330W PSU, XP SP2

Broken Rig:
    AMD 2600+ Barton
    Abit NF7 V2.0 Mainboard
    XFX GeForce FX5200, 256 DDR
    LiteOn DVD Writer
    WD 80Gig
    Seagate 120Gig
    512Mb Kingston PC3200
    Tagan 330W PSU
    WinXP - Pro SP2

Laptop : HP Pavilion ze2000 - Centrino 1.6Ghz XP Home/SP2

I didn't have a lot of time to check out the files when I found them, and I was at work with an old slow laptop, but I ran two of them through an anti-virus scan before I posted the link.
    Leoslocks, no luck with a file for my Gateway Solo 3150 either. Let me know if any come close to yours.

And lastly, since I've just accumulated two no-display laptops from yard sales, does anyone have any experience in diagnosing the causes of the no-display faults. I know it can be the inverter powering the display or the cold-cathode (correct?) backlight. I've been wondering if there are ways to check for output at each stage if you had it apart. Along the same lines, can you get an output at the external monitor initially, or do you have let it boot completely and switch the external monitor on via software?
    I plan on doing some tests with a couple of my old working laptops, just haven't got there yet.
    Dignosing problems is so much more diffcult in a laptop than with a desktop.

Originally posted by Andy_83
    Yep, they seem to be multipart RAR files. Just download both parts (they're on separate pages, link just above the download link), make sure they're in the same dir, and use winRAR to extract the PDF.
    I tried one with only Part 1 available, and got the error msg. but when I looked 7-Zip had indeed extracted it.

Highly recommend 7-Zip. It's totally free, and easier to use than WinZip and WinRar. The latest version just came out today. Download it here.

I looked for part 2 of the file and couldn't find it.

I downloaded 7 Zip and it coughs up an error while extracting, "File is Broken"

The extracted pdf tries to open but produces another error. "The file is broken and can not be repaired."

As we are looking for different files, a link to your part 2 would not help but a more discript pointer to your location might help.

Leoslocks, what version of Acrobat Reader are you using?

Originally posted by DanceMan
    Leoslocks, what version of Acrobat Reader are you using?

Perhpas that is the issue. I don's feel like downloading 19 meg on dialup.

Leoslocks, I finally figured it out.

Acrobat saw the file as broken because part was missing. The file decompression program will reassemble the parts into one when all parts are present when you extract.
    The primary problem is the confusing arrangement of the files on the website. I was making the same mistake you likely did. I downloaded by clicking on the "To download the file, please click here !" line. It will then download the file shown in orange on the "multipart" line in File Information section above. The number 0 above will produce Part 1 in the downloaded file name. Number 1 will produce a file name with part 2, etc. To get the other parts you must go back and click on the next multipart number to highlight it, then on the download line to start the download.
    Hope that's understandable. Onec you get it figured out, it works.

By the way, there is an earlier page than the notebook page I linked. It contains links to manuals for printers and a few servers and desktops. In among those are a couple of other notebooks.
    Last edited by DanceMan; October 29th, 2005 at 11:53 PM.

wooo, the T21 manual is there.

andy, no need for the manual just take screws out and pull on stuff. thats the way i learned. the things built like a tank doesnt break
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Thanks DanceMan, I am getting the part 2's now.

There are quite a lot of manuals for all kinds of appliances there. This could be quite the find!

Thread Information