Poor Golf GTI - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Golf GTI

no i mean if I smash into an enzo and write it off
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Ohhhhh!

*gulp*

Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

Originally posted by dannyboy27
    holy crap

it must be devastating to see your pride and joy go up in flames like that.

Judging by the extra gauges on the dash though, I bet the silly boy stuck a whacking great Garrett turbo in there and overboosted the nuts off it! Asking for trouble......
    Ah, not the end of the world. At least now he can get the new shape GTi
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Originally posted by Martin_89
    ahh insurance must be different over there from over here. if i crash my car with say a new air filter or somthing simple like that on my car and its not on my insurance then its void, i have to pay for my car AND the car ive just wrote off, even if it is a ferarri Enzo
    Yeah, doing any sort of engine mod and not declaring it is asking for trouble. Insurers are always going to try and get out of paying up at the best of times - if you've changed anything you're asking for trouble.

It's always worth telling them if you do anything, and take the hit on insurance.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

Originally posted by CenturionStrategy
    Ah, not the end of the world. At least now he can get the new shape GTi
    lol, they say every cloud has a silver lining

there is one performance mod which the insurers would be very hard pushed to spot - a remap.

It simply involves reprogramming the existing ECU, so unless the insurance company went to the trouble of removing the chip and comparing the code to a standard chip, they ain't ever gonna know
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

there is one performance mod which the insurers would be very hard pushed to spot - a remap.

It simply involves reprogramming the existing ECU, so unless the insurance company went to the trouble of removing the chip and comparing the code to a standard chip, they ain't ever gonna know
    Yeah, I've considered getting a remap up to 130ps. It's apparently very easy to switch back to the standard mapping, so you can set it according to your driving style.

Why the ******* hell didn't they shut the doors and the bonnet whilst waiting for the fire engine to arrive?

It wouldn't have been nearly half as bad then, probably a new dash along with a few other bits and and it would've been back on the road.

Don't they realise fire needs oxygen to burn? By leaving all the doors open it's bound to flare up. Stupid.

Temp Rig:
    AthlonXP 1800, Asus A7N266-VM
    256 PC2100, 40Gb 5400RPM HDD
    GeForce MX440 (for now)
    Tagan 330W PSU, XP SP2

Broken Rig:
    AMD 2600+ Barton
    Abit NF7 V2.0 Mainboard
    XFX GeForce FX5200, 256 DDR
    LiteOn DVD Writer
    WD 80Gig
    Seagate 120Gig
    512Mb Kingston PC3200
    Tagan 330W PSU
    WinXP - Pro SP2

Laptop : HP Pavilion ze2000 - Centrino 1.6Ghz XP Home/SP2

dont you need to get a remapable (is that a word?) ECU first?

why did you put that idea in my head not really worth it on my engine though, would only give me an extra 3-5BHP at the most.
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

why did you put that idea in my head not really worth it on my engine though, would only give me an extra 3-5BHP at the most.
    NO!

I think you should give all your money to me! Making me jealous sending me that PM

hehehe, don't know what that was all about.

Seriously though, a lot of people tend to buy 'Superchips' and they don't really do a whole lot for the engine. They're like K&N air filters... if you put one on a Nova, it'll instantly be able to kill Scooby's and Evo's. Whereas a remap is tuned for your exact engine. It uses the current contents of the ECU and enhances it for a richer fuel/air mixture, which in turn increases performance... but can sometimes play havok with your MPG
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

dont you need to get a remapable (is that a word?) ECU first?

I looked into it as well, as there are a couple of tuners in Greater London (Angel Tuning and Autodelta), but it would've only given me an extra 10bhp. And it cost about £300.

Mind you, if they could've turned my car into the one below for £300, then that would've been a different matter entirely

http://www.italiaspeed.com/2004/cars...gta/gal_4.html
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

If it was my engine then yes, id pays £300 for 10BHP but on an engine as powerful as yours then..... Hmmm i'm not sure. If you were going to keep the car for a while then yes defo but as you said before you’re trying to sell it. Any luck with that btw?

Andy, sorry about the PM, i was excited

nah, nuffink mate. Didn't even get any calls from the Auto Trader ad, which was surprising, and a bit of a waste of £30!

The funny thing is, I'm secretly quite pleased that no-one has called about it

I do need to sell it, but I don't want to sell it, if you see what I mean. So I'll leave the note in the back window, but I'm not gonna try any harder than that to get rid of it.

btw, have you lowered your clio martin?

M.C.S.A.

It's all about the TDi's - You can take mine from 105hp to 130hp for about £300 (ecu remap) and keep the fuel economy!

Hehe so if anyone wants to buy it then you’re happy but if they don’t then you’re still happy

And about the Clio, i've got the springs ordered but not got them yet so ill get round to it soon when I get a mate to give me a hand with it. I can do the back no problem because the springs and shocks are separate but the front is a little harder. it was going to be 35mm but for £5 more I could get a 60mm drop and when I looked at a guy I knows Clio which is dropped 60mm on the same wheels as mine then I couldn’t help but want a 60mm drop

Same think happened to me

Basically what happened was I was on my way home from dropping a mate off, driving down the lower luton road smelt some burning and thought “someone’s having a bonfire late” , this was roughly at Batford where the speed cameras are.

About half a mile later realized it was my car that was smelling, pulled off the road at the sewerage works opened the drivers door (after pulling the bonnet) and when the light came on realized that smoke was pouring from under the dashboard 10 minutes later the firebrigade arrived and you can see the result.

http://www.packetradio.co.uk/gallery/car

the car had not been modded in any way regarding engine etc
    looks like a wiring thing car was 3.5 years old
    Last edited by g7pkf; August 26th, 2005 at 10:28 AM.

Thread Information