Poor Golf GTI
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Golf GTI

Poor Golf GTI

Gutted for the owner of this tidy little number...

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=SRgtiFIRE

Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP
    Laptop - Athlon 64 3000, 1gb RAM, 40gb HDD, Radeon Mobility 200, Windows Vista
    Server - P4 1.8GHz, 768mb RAM, 2x 40gb HDDs, Win2k3 Server

holy crap

it must be devastating to see your pride and joy go up in flames like that.

Judging by the extra gauges on the dash though, I bet the silly boy stuck a whacking great Garrett turbo in there and overboosted the nuts off it! Asking for trouble......
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Yep I agree totally. If that was my car I would be in tears watching it burn up like that.

As for the remark about the turbo, upon closer inspection, there does appear to be a lot of thick tubing running across the engine bay (intercooler at the front, turbo at the back where the fire started perhaps) and what appears to be some silver heat reflective material.

The turbo could have got extremely hot stuck down behind the engine, and so ignited whatever material was down near it.

That's given me an excuse to tidy up my dodgy amp wiring tomorrow before I put it all back into the new car
    Desktop - XP2100 @ 2.4GHz, Abit NF7-S, 1gb DDR500 Crucial Ballistix, 120 + 160gb HDD, Windows XP

That money could've been spent so much more wisely... Never invest in something that only decreases in value over time.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Like a computer?

Originally posted by agw_01
    Like a computer?
    Well, YEAH! Which one is the more functional of the two?
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

haha both of you need to shut up

I actually would bet an electrical problem- i had an 88 jetta- one day driving down state street all of a sudden the whole interior filled with smoke- i barely got it to a parking lot. It kept going for awhile but it stopped eventually. Later i pulled out a 6ft chunk of wire from the dash completely bare of its insulation!

VW's are notorious for funny wiring, although in my case it could have been that elaborate-ghetto stereo system i kept riggin in my early days

Originally posted by krupted
    VW's are notorious for funny wiring, although in my case it could have been that elaborate-ghetto stereo system i kept riggin in my early days
    ROFL! I've been there before now!

In fact, it reminds me back to when I did an install for a mates car. I was setting up the gain on the amp while he was messing with some wires under the dash.

I hadn't earthed the cables yet as I was just running them temporarily to make sure it would work, and he goes and pulls a load of wiring out and stuffs it back where he found it... only to have a couple of nice smoke clouds coming up from his bonnet a few minutes later Idiot!

Originally posted by agw_01
    In fact, it reminds me back to when I did an install for a mates car. I was setting up the gain on the amp while he was messing with some wires under the dash.

I hadn't earthed the cables yet as I was just running them temporarily to make sure it would work, and he goes and pulls a load of wiring out and stuffs it back where he found it... only to have a couple of nice smoke clouds coming up from his bonnet a few minutes later Idiot!
    LOL i remember you telling me that story.

id be gutted if i had spend alot on a car and then that happens
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

This is why I prefer riding my bike. Also coz I m all about the environment.

meh- its just a car. did you know there are more cars out there now than people that can drive them? pretty wild, i guess in his case i would hope he had full coverage otherwise yeah, i would be crying because of my wallet

yeah hopefully he declaired his mods on his insurance, if not then hes Fcuked!
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

well yeah, but i wonder if he had insurance at all. If the car was insured, everything in it is too. Normally if you dont tell the insurance company ahead of time, they will make you send them the owners manuals or reciepts as proof that you had them

that and i guess he could send them the melted parts

ahh insurance must be different over there from over here. if i crash my car with say a new air filter or somthing simple like that on my car and its not on my insurance then its void, i have to pay for my car AND the car ive just wrote off, even if it is a ferarri Enzo

lol, well if you can afford one Enzo, I'm sure you afford another

Thread Information