PCI card problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PCI card problem

Unhappy PCI card problem

I just ordered a GeForce 6200 for my PC, but I can't even put it in my computer because the slots are backwards! That, or I'm doing something really stupid. A normal PCI slot (from the outside of the computer to the inside) goes from a long slot to a small one, correct? Well, this card does the opposite - it goes from small to long. The only way I'll be able to put it in is to have all the plugs for the monitor and such inside the computer. Can anyone help me with my problem??

What motherboard do you have??
    Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2 | 2GB G.SKILL Extreme Series Memory | Geforce GT 430 1 gig | 120 gig Seagate 8 meg cache ST3120026A | Lite-on LDW-811S DVDRW | Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 | Antec True Power 480w | Win XP Pro SP3 | Cable Modem

Assuming you're not trying to put an AGP card in a PCI slot, you may have an 8x AGP card and a motherboard with an older 2x/4x slot. I may have the 4x on the wrong side of the divide, but you get the general idea. They run at different voltages.

This site will help you determine what you have and will give you the visual info on what DanceMan said

Otherwise as Shervie2 said what are your specs?

and have you possibly bought PCI express video card?

Oh... that might have been the problem. Yes, it is an express. Are PCI Express and regular PCI ports different? That, and I wouldn't have a clue what kind of motherboard I have.

This program will identify your hardware.

Originally posted by bj12
    Are PCI Express and regular PCI ports different?
    Yes http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...0456.html?Open

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2 | 2GB G.SKILL Extreme Series Memory | Geforce GT 430 1 gig | 120 gig Seagate 8 meg cache ST3120026A | Lite-on LDW-811S DVDRW | Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 | Antec True Power 480w | Win XP Pro SP3 | Cable Modem

well, I guess my next question would have to be - is there anything I can do to make this card work? The card I have is a Geforce 6200 and from what I can see, you can't get it in anything other then PCI-Express. I guess what I'm wondering, is is it possible to get a PCI-Express slot for my computer, how would I go about doing that, and how much would it cost me? If it helps, all I know is that I have a few PCI and ISA slots.
    Last edited by bj12; May 12th, 2005 at 11:19 AM.

Post your specs. Use Everest Home Edition to get the cpu and motherboard at the link I gave you.
    To get a PCI-E slot, you need one of the new motherboards, and you'll undoubtedly need a new cpu as well, and possibly memory.

CPU Type Intel Celeron-S, 1400 MHz (14 x 100)
    CPU Alias Tualatin, A80530
    Motherboard Name Dell OptiPlex GX1 800MTbr+
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz
    Bandwidth 800 MB/s
    Total Memory 383 MB

Does that stuff help? lol, I only know software stuff, I don't know anything about hardware.

IMO, sell the v-card or see if they will take it back in exchange and get a regular pci card or be prepared to dole out some serious money,
    Last edited by Shervie2; May 12th, 2005 at 02:50 PM.

I can't find any models on Dell's site that match your model #. Most likely the # is different for the computer and the motherboard and their lists are for the computer.
    However, it seems likely your computer has no AGP slot, just onboard video, and uses SDRAM.

Your options are Shervie2's advice: sell or exchange, or build or have a new computer built around your new card.

Thread Information