AGP Card shows up as PCI?? (CL TNT)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: AGP Card shows up as PCI?? (CL TNT)

Shiner Guest

AGP Card shows up as PCI?? (CL TNT)

oh man, i think i know why my frame rates hace been low in quake2. When i hit ~, it shows my vid card as Riva TNT (PCI). the riva tnt part is right, but its an AGP card. (no i didnt force my agp card into a pci slot
    I do not have osr2, i'm running regular win95. anyone know whats up?

Shiner Guest
    oh yea, i also have no 'processor to agp' line under system devices in the control panel. is my win95 treating the agp as a pci, thus the lower performance?

Shiner Guest
    HEY! guess what people. i was right, when i click show devices by connection, my tnt agp card shows up under
    plug and play bios->pci bus-> graphics blaster riva tnt.

wow thats bad.

what do i do......freakin thing..

I'm not exactly sure what the solution is but I've seen a post here before saying that you have to have the latest version of Win95 for AGP support. I'm not sure if there is more than version of OSR2 but I'm pretty sure you can't use an AGP card on a Win95 original release. Maybe check Microsoft Knowledge Base. Good luck!

Well, its your windows 95 version. You need to have at least version OSR 2.1 to be able to take advantage of the AGP port. The older version do not have the system files to recognize the agp port.

Goto microsofts web site and look for the patches to upgrade it, or upgrade to windows 98.

Sometimes I wonder...

Shiner Guest
    Is there a patch for osr2? or do i have to buy it? I did the service pack 1, i am now at 4.00.950a, but i need osr2 and usbsupp.exex for 2.1 right?

I have the exact same problem. My agp is showing up as a pci bus. I went to microsoft and you can upgrade to os r2.1 but you have to be a subscriber. For what they want to subscribe it would be cheaper to go and purchase the win 98 upgrade. Kinda sucks huh!

USB support is the key. You need usb support installed to be able to access the agp bus, the USB update includes AGP.

You guys should be fine for right now, there are not alot of games right now that utilize the AGP bus yet. On most games, the performance between pci and agp is not large. As soon as there are more games made to utilize AGP, you will need to update it, or buy windows 98.

Sometimes I wonder...

Thread Information