World hockey championship - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World hockey championship

Henrik Lundqvist. NYR goalie of the future.

felt less annoyed about that one so much as the sweden result!
    Add Canada to the list. They were outplayed by the Swedes, especially on defence.

I've got my mind set on montoya for the rangers, lund has had a few chances and could have done better but then there was a lot of turmoil up here also.

Could be. But remember how nice it was to have Beezer and Ricky ? Having 2 number 1 goalies is the best dilemma there is.

OK Finns played welll today, however if there is one thing I hate is playing to kill time when you have active score.

Canada should have got the win at the end.

Still 3:3, after having the lead for so long, should teach Finnland a lesson.

BTW Denmark repetead the game against Slovenia in reverse, beating Austria 4:3, after Austrians leading 3:1.

So if nothing else this championship sure is a thriller.

Well what do you know, Slovenia managed to stay in elite division.

After beating Denmark in a 4:3 thriler, they shamelessly lost against Germany 1:9 (supposedly they had a big row in the team just before the game), but then rallied against Austria, beating them 6:2.

So quite suprisingly they ended up in the first place of relegation group with Denmark being the other team to stay in elite division.
    Germany and Austria are now going into division 1.

Some great hockey still awaits us, with 1st place being far from clear Canadian grab, though in the end I expect Canadians to take gold.
    Its however far less clear if Americans will end up in the medal position.

EDITED for wrongly naming the elite and 1st division
    Last edited by F_A_L_C_O_N; May 11th, 2005 at 05:18 PM.

I'm not so sure about Canada winning. They've been poor defensively. I favour Sweden for first place.

Still Canada has a much better schedule IMO: Click

They have to beat Slovakia, which is quite realistic, then they get Russia Finland match winner.

Whereas Sweden has to play really fired up Switzerland, then get the winner of a match between USA and Czechs.

If nothing else you should have a lot clearer path to the finals as Sweden does.

Good point. But I still think they'll have to play better defensively.

By the way, what did you think of the incident with Nash hooking and pushing the referees? Canadian commentators thought he got a free pass on that one, that it really ought to have earned some consequences.

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/...nash_49355.jpg

click

Doesnt look nice, but then again this championships were full of rather frustrated and frustrating actions, so IMO it would be a shame to have a player like that out of the championship.
    It would be more of a team punsihment anyway.

Unfortunately I havent seen the game live because for some inexplainable reason german sport TV, DSF decided to broadcast Belorussia : Kazahstan match instead
    Reason enaugh to have their team relegated, if you ask me

I don't see usa getting past czech unless there goalie vokoun has a bad day, usa should go with dipietro as goalie.

Well I guess you were right, still realisticly 4 best teams get to play half final:

Swe : Cze

Rus : Can

I say the final list wil go like this:
    Canada
    Sweden
    Russia
    Czech

Reason being Sweden is typical looser team, they will get to the final, but thats it. They were 5 times in the final in last 10 years and won only once

Now Czechs are probably better team then Russia, but if they get beaten by Sweden, Russia will have a lot more motive to get a medal, then they will. However if Czechs are able to beat Sweden in the half finals, then I am almost sure they will take the gold.
    Unlike Sweden Czechs are typical winner team, with the incredible 4 out of 4 record in last ten finals

Congrats to the Czechs, they now have a perfect 5 out of 5 finals record in the last 10 or so WCs.

As I said if they get past the Sweden, they will win.
    Now I am pretty sure Canada would get the gold against the Sweden in the finals, but whatever you do, dont get the Czechs in the finals

BTW Russia pulled a great 6:3 victory against the Sweden for the bronze, looks like Sweden just wasnt up to it, once they lost the place in the finals.

To be honest I think I like how it all ended, couse Sweden might have the quality, but they sure dont have mental stability to go for the cup and Canada, though right there at the top, well just wasnt as good a team as Czechs proved to be.

Now on a down note, Germany, which was relegated to 2nd class, got the 2010 WC i.e. they qualify automatically.

The Canadian broadcast commentators were aghast at Tikonov's coaching -- no attempt at line matching, for example. The Russians showed brilliant talent.
    But the Czechs showed both talent and team defence, a Canadian weakness. The Czechs went into the final with the best goals-against in the series.

Thread Information