Poor Andy (AGW_01) - Page 4
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Poor Andy (AGW_01)

cheers for the pics, is that your engine bay Nick?

In my old job I regularly drove a Volvo S40 1.9D, it was only 115 bhp, but had 195 lb ft of torque. That was the car that taught me the difference between power and torque. Don't get me wrong, the Alfa would've whipped it in a drag race, but I loved the way you could floor the Volvo in 2nd gear @ 2,000 rpm and get monster wheelspin!!

As you say, TD's are begging to be chipped too. I know a guy with an Alfa 156 2.4JTD which he has chipped to 240bhp

I can't remember what torque it puts out, but I think it's in the region of 300 lb ft

So yeah I probably will test drive an Audi TDi just to see what they're like, if it feels suitably torque-y then I might just be sold !

It would be ideal actually, as I quite often go for a spin at weekends if I'm bored, the problem in the Alfa is that spin ends up costing me 15 in petrol
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

any pics of your car danny, rather than just the engine
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Yeah, that was under the engine bay in March (with only 24 miles on the clock) - you can still see the plastic wrap on the VW logo

If you can get past the look of the Golf, it may be worth looking at the GT TDI which I think is 150bhp and will still give you 40mpg if you trash it around town. The new Golf is good fun to drive - kind of similar to the last Ford Focus (which was a hoot), but you also get superb build quality and gadgets galore.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Here are a couple of other shots:

http://img240.echo.cx/img240/6658/tdiside.jpg
    http://img46.echo.cx/img46/8412/tdicorner0kc.jpg

I think the GT TDi looks a little different. I'm still kicking myself about not getting this one lowered - it only costs 125 to have the sports suspension pack, but I forgot to look through the accesories list
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

on the subject of diesels and MPG.... LINK

if you're looking for economy Parker's recently set an unofficial world record of 109mpg in an 80bhp 1.5 dCi at a constant 56mph.
    im not hinting at you buying one btw, because its cheap and french and i wouldnt replace a 156 2.5 V6 with one
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Originally posted by Martin_89
    lol, if were playing the engine show off game then here it is in all its glory, 113,000 miles in 3 years and it still goes

low quality pictures btw

Engine
    Engine 2

And here it is before the wheels went on (no pics with the wheels yet ) IMAGE
    cool, are you buying some alloys for it then Martin? That'd look sweet with some spokey 15/16's on it. Black is my favourite colour for cars too.

the engine looks quite similar to this one, don't you reckon

here's a couple of pics of mine anyway

inside

outside
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Originally posted by dannyboy27
    cool, are you buying some alloys for it then Martin? That'd look sweet with some spokey 15/16's on it. Black is my favourite colour for cars too.

the engine looks quite similar to this one, don't you reckon
    yeah ive got the standard 15" clio ones for it (would only buy aftermarket in 17"+ and im not doing that on a 1.2 ) plus got them for 300 on ebay Image (and here they are in 16" on a clio sport just to give you an idea Image

and yeah i can see the resemblance in engines with the V10 F1 engine, goes like one too! , i wish!

your car is VERY nice, looks typical italian inside, which is nice

Originally posted by CenturionStrategy
    Yeah, that was under the engine bay in March (with only 24 miles on the clock) - you can still see the plastic wrap on the VW logo

If you can get past the look of the Golf, it may be worth looking at the GT TDI which I think is 150bhp and will still give you 40mpg if you trash it around town. The new Golf is good fun to drive - kind of similar to the last Ford Focus (which was a hoot), but you also get superb build quality and gadgets galore.
    yeah I didn't realise you had the brand new shape Golf, Nick. I think it's much better looking than the Mk4. Just a shame I can't afford one - I'd love the new GTI (or that GT TDI)

I had another problem with the Alfa yesterday. Left the keys in the ignition on Sunday night, so battery was flat in the morning. Got a jump start, engine started no problem, but it won't go over 1000 rpm even with your foot welded to the floor!

My first thought was that I had buggered the ECU, but apparently the V6 has a 'fly-by-wire' throttle with a potentiometer somewhere between the pedal and the engine, and this needs to be reset (by a mechanic). So I'm looking at a 100 bill for a friggin' flat battery. Grrr!!

M.C.S.A.

aww, thats alot of money for a flat battery!

hope you get it fixed mate

Thread Information