For the agnostic or athiest or anarchist - Page 3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For the agnostic or athiest or anarchist

So guys if you could please redirect your personal attacks to PM and leave this rather interesting thread open to the rest of us

Originally posted by F_A_L_C_O_N
    So guys if you could please redirect your personal attacks to PM and leave this rather interesting thread open to the rest of us
    Yes very interesting thread. (thats's why I didn't lock it)

I have read alot of things about the battle field ghost stuff over the years. Very interesting topic really.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

sorry mods- that was a late post lastnight, i really dont even remember everything i wrote

i appreciate the respect as you havent closed the thread

Originally posted by krupted
    sorry mods- that was a late post lastnight, i really dont even remember everything i wrote

lol, I've done that too, over-reacted slightly to a comment from a forum member and got into a bit of a barney about it

I came to the conclusion that beer and hwc forum don't mix

edit: not suggesting you over-reacted, btw
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

i appreciate the respect as you havent closed the thread
    Quit drinking so much.
    Colossians 3 - rules to live by.
    <><

As you all know I am an athiest. I believe that life is just what it is. No 'purpose' or heroic acts for most of us. We all have a need to belong to something bigger and more permanent than ourselves. For some it is a gang, a political party, a club or a religion. The only perpetual item in existance is the struggle between perceived good and perceived evil. Mankind is often thrust into the middle of this struggle. Both sides have their own Heros.

As I posted I bought all of the LOTR movies last night for the full collectors edition copies. Throughout that more than 11 hours of movie I can not remember one mention of a higher 'God-like' power. Refreshing. Gandolf's return from the dead hints at something close to a purpose. Or from the Last Samurai is quoted, "I believe a man does what he can until his destiny is revealed to him."

All we can do as Gandolf said is to make the most of what time we do have here. To help your friends and neighbors. To have compassion for vanquished enemies. To try to leave the world in a better place than when you entered it. Note that terrorists do not fit in this category. They have no honor.
    Last edited by AMD Guy; May 1st, 2005 at 01:36 PM.

Current Main Rig:
    AMD FX55 @ 2.9 GHz
    2 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    ATI X1900XT O/C to XTX speeds

Retired Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2387 MHz. (217*11)
    512MB DDR RAM @ 436 MHz. (PC 3700)
    Abit AN7 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 6800GT OC!

To help your friends and neighbors. To have compassion for vanquished enemies. To try to leave the world in a better place than when you entered it.

Good point and very true.

That is the key really, if all of us would just do that we all would have alot less Wars etc.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

Originally posted by Pipewrench
    Quit drinking so much.
    i think you need to quit smoking the molta j/k

i see it the other way- those who believe in the bible are closed minded, one god, one love everything is meant to be perfect, but it's not like that.

I'm open to many ideas, but not ones written in a book by man himself, thats called a fable.

i see it the other way- those who believe in the bible are closed minded, one god, one love everything is meant to be perfect, but it's not like that.

I'm open to many ideas, but not ones written in a book by man himself, thats called a fable.

Not all people who have faith are closed minded, but like everything a few bad ones overshadow all the good ones.

I wouldn't call the Bible a fable, as it's not. it is documentation of what really happened.

We all know how old the New Testiment is, that is a no brainer there. What we don't realy know is how Old the Old Testiment is.

Nobody knows for sure, many people guess that it is over 4000 years old.

The Bible is true facts there is no doubt there, just like any other Non Fiction book or the history book.

Whether people choose to believe it or not that is a different story.

But then Some people even to this day don't believe that Hitler had al those Jews killed...We know that it happened, but some people are so closed minded they don't believe it.

Are you getting the point yet?

We all know what happened to the Jews......But maybe 2 thousand years from know someone will say nah that never happened, this History book is just a fable (Written by Man).....

Something to think about.

Well actually I would go one step futher and argue that just about everything that was ever written has some truth in it.

Skepticism is just fine, but what it lacks is realization of the world humans inhabit and experience they can gatter are rather limited and isolated to the little planet in the middle of nowhere.

So where exactly does imagination come from, what is that makes humans make up the story.

I would argue that like chance there is no true imagination but rather in both cases a complex comglomerate of factors that contribute to the end result. Yet because most of those factors are above our current comprehansion, they are dismissed as chance or imagination.

BTW Aristotel said dreams are the life of the soul, I think there is a lot more to that statement that current science of psychology would like us to belive.

Oh and just for the record I am of the opinion that science is no less a religion then any other.
    It constantly uses unkown factor and one of the biggest is observer him or herself, yet it wants us to belive the truth it proclaims in the form of axioms is final.

F_A_L_C_O_N,

Good points, and putting an even bigger spin on it than I did, I like that.

Well actually I would go one step futher and argue that just about everything that was ever written has some truth in it.
    That is possible for sure.

So where exactly does imagination come from, what is that makes humans make up the story.
    That has been one of those topics that will be discussed til the end of time.

I would like to know the answer to that one myself.

Back in History there was a period of time where there was no documentation at all anywhere...(The Dark Ages).......it was all lost somehow, who knows really what happened to it all.

Now that WOULD be a find, putting facts behind all those so called Legends. (maybe that where the imagination comes from)

not to be rude or anything, but it was never my intention to badmouth bible believers, and i was not trying to preach non-religous views. Again, i had asked for this to be a discussion for those who believe my way, all it takes is one button to start a new topic. And if its only for those who believe, then i would not reply.

not to be rude or anything, but it was never my intention to badmouth bible believers, and i was not trying to preach non-religous views. Again, i had asked for this to be a discussion for those who believe my way, all it takes is one button to start a new topic. And if its only for those who believe, then i would not reply.

Well it is an interesting topic for alot of us, so it really doesn't matter what some of us believe as long as we have a good conversation.

Don't shoot us Believers down and we'll let ya have your say so to, just in one ear and out the other, the same as you non believers do. Period !! lol
    I've actually known more atheists to be more open-minded than "believers". Most of us tried searching for a path to believing, I know I did. What it all boils down to is that every religious group has those that try to preach to those that don't want to hear it. I am more than willing to speak to anyone about anything that they do or do not believe in, and I know that many others out there are the same, no matter their beliefs. Actually, the moment that I became open-minded on the subject was when I realised I couldn't find the truth. From that day on, I have lived life not knowing where I am going (in the after-life sense). I have made goals for myself, abide by the laws that are set by my government, and try to makes those in my life as happy as I would like myself to be. It's the only true happiness that I've found
    Last edited by insanityfell; May 1st, 2005 at 10:20 PM.
    Aspire Turbo case w/6 case fans
    Abit AN7 rev C1 nForce2 Ultra 400
    AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.205GHz
    Thermalright SLK900A w/92mm Tornado
    Abit Radeon 9600XT All In Wonder 594/796
    Geil Dual Channel 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 6-3-2-2.5
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty
    2-Maxtor Ultra Series Kit 120GB SATA L01M120 Raid0 (OS & Programs)
    Western Digital Special Edition 120GB WD1200JB 8MB (Data)
    Lite-On CD-Rom 48x
    NEC 4X DVD +RW/-RW Drive
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Thread Information