Vonage
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vonage

chcr is offline lemme offa this ride!!!!!

Vonage

Not and ad or even an endorsement, but does anyone else have it? I've had it since the end of January, and so far it's been fine. I especially like the rates since my daughter-in-law and grandkids are in Japan while my son is in the middle east. The freakin' ads are everywhere though, aren't they? Finally using my broadband for something other than fast web surfing and speedy downloads of questionable content.
    Things equal to other things are not necessarily the same.

I had VOIP (Cable Phone) through Roadrunner for awhile and it worked fine for me, never had any problems with it.

I do have some friends who have Vonage and like it, it's alittle different setup but it works fine.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

I used VOIP several years back. Free phone calls was sweet but being tethered took me back to my childhood.

Re-educate me, VOIP is no longer free? Or is there specific services that Vonage & similar provide?
    SHUT DOWN CNN They are murderous liars.

XiBase and
    OffTopicCentral

Originally posted by MetalGod
    I used VOIP several years back. Free phone calls was sweet but being tethered took me back to my childhood.

Re-educate me, VOIP is no longer free? Or is there specific services that Vonage & similar provide?
    It's not free anymore.

Alot of the Cable companies are offering it now pretty cheap, like about $29 a month or less grouping it in with their TV and Internet services.

Some DSL ISPs are offering it too.

What happens is the ISP gets in with a Local Phone provider like Sprint and then Sprint switches the VOIP call to their system and out.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

"Not free" bites the big one. Since it's now a for-profit service, can one use it with a wireless phone or is it still tethered to a headset?
    SHUT DOWN CNN They are murderous liars.

XiBase and
    OffTopicCentral

"Not free" bites the big one. Since it's now a for-profit service, can one use it with a wireless phone or is it still tethered to a headset?
    No it's different now.

How Time WArner did it was they would bring in their VOIP modem and plug it in to the cable line (coax) and the Phone line.

That would light up all the outlits in the house. So You can use any kind of phone you want now.

It is really cool.

One of my co-workers got Vonage. Unlimited calling for $24.95 a month. It uses a special VOIP modem plugged into the router. You then plug any phone you want into it.

The only downside is that the only "local" numbers it has for my area code are for Ventura which is more than two hours away and definitely not a local call from here. It's no problem if you make calls to others, but if someone else wants to call they'd have to pay toll charges.

My co-worker got it because his 16-year-old son makes a lot of outgoing calls and it costs him plenty. He and his wife have cell phones in case they need to be reached locally, and he has cable internet so he was able to ditch the phone company completely.

It wouldn't make sense for me to use Vonage because I have a DSL connection, so I have to keep up phone service anyway.
    This space for rent. Advertise your business!

Actually, I have it plugged into my house phone wiring (after disconnecting from the Bell system at the box). It's completely transparent, that is to say all the phones (and they're all cordless but one) work just like they did before. It uses a special router to do that. It's really quite easy to hook up. Of course now I have a Netgear single port broadband router to get rid of, but I'll put it on e-bay. Plus, I now have caller ID, call forwarding (really useful with the boy in Iraq) and voicemail for free. I'm way too cheap to pay extra for that stuff. Now of course if the power goes out or the internet goes down I don't have a home phone, but on the other hand it forwards to my cell.

I used to use VOIP too, I like this better. Even having to pay for it. The way I see it this costs about a third of what I'd been paying the phone company (adding rates and long distance together) and that helps defray the cost of broadband. When I figured it out, I'm now paying less than 10% more for phone plus internet service than I would be with Bell South phone and dial up. Well worth the cost. I have the plan Inky refers to. $24.95 unlimited to the US and Canada, plus overseas rates are much cheaper.

It wouldn't make sense for me to use Vonage because I have a DSL connection, so I have to keep up phone service anyway.
    True, but if someone has DSL from a vendor other than the phone company...

I was under the impression that other DSL vendors re-sell the phone company's service. When I was in Fresno, I used Fresno State's DSL service... and the modem they sent me came in an box with the SBC logo on the side. SBC owns and maintains all the phone lines out here, after all. I'd think that when the phone company shuts off service, the whole nine yards would get shut off so another vendor's DSL wouldn't be able to reach you either.
    This space for rent. Advertise your business!

Originally posted by Inkara1
    I was under the impression that other DSL vendors re-sell the phone company's service. When I was in Fresno, I used Fresno State's DSL service... and the modem they sent me came in an box with the SBC logo on the side. SBC owns and maintains all the phone lines out here, after all. I'd think that when the phone company shuts off service, the whole nine yards would get shut off so another vendor's DSL wouldn't be able to reach you either.
    That's all true, but if someone else is leasing the lines for your dsl the phone co. can't physically disconnect the line.

I don't know about the service, but that tune on the commercial
    drives me crazy.

Originally posted by catocom
    I don't know about the service, but that tune on the commercial
    drives me crazy.
    Yeah, but the actual ads are hilarious.

I thought there were programs out there that would let you use VOIP for free? I guess the program is free but you are still charged by your cable company? I haven't tried it out yet, or even made one phone call, but there is a program called skype that i have installed and wanted to try.

Originally posted by proKrastinate
    I thought there were programs out there that would let you use VOIP for free? I guess the program is free but you are still charged by your cable company? I haven't tried it out yet, or even made one phone call, but there is a program called skype that i have installed and wanted to try.
    Yeah nothing is free anymore.

It does work good though.

Originally posted by chcr
    Yeah, but the actual ads are hilarious.
    I get them all the time......

Thread Information