Video capture cards
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Video capture cards

Hybrid View

Video capture cards

Iím in the market for a video capture device and Iíve done so much research that Iím getting very confused. With MPEG-1 capture devices, you capture video at lower quality but you spare hard drive space. You can also share your work on CD ROMS. MJPEG capture cards on the other hand, capture at higher resolutions, but can take up to 2GB of hard drive space for just 10 minutes of video. Iíve also heard that if you want to share your video that each minute of video captured in MJPEG format takes about 20 minutes to render to MPEG. My problem is that the product Iím interested in (Matrox Marvel G200-TV, for all of the features) captures in MJPEG. I would really like to put an hourís worth of video on a CD ROM to share with my friends as Dazzle Multimediaís Digital Video Creator does. Is there any way I would be able to compress my video into MPEG-1 formats without having to wait so long for the rendering to finish? Would I have to buy a video editing software package that supports both formats or do I need an MPEG-1 decoder card? I was also looking into buying the HI-Val DVD player with the MPEG-2 decoder card, would that help out in any way?

Chanse Guest
    Your best bet is to buy a Mjpeg based card, like the Rainbow runner, or the iomega buz. There are plenty of mpeg converters out there that are fast and cheap, sometimes free. It may take a little more time t ocapture and convert, but they allow better resolutions, higher frame rates, and much more editing control.

I have a full version of premiere 4.2 for sale if you are interested....
    Esq
    Email me... loomis7@nh.ultranet.com

Hmm, I'm in a similar situation. I'm about to buy a new PC (I held off over the Xmas period thankfully) and I'd like a card capable of decent video capture and editing. After doing as much looking around as possible the only card I could find was the Matrox Marvel as this was the only one which could handle the quality I was looking for. The only problem with this was that I wanted a really fast 2D/3D card as well that could handle OpenGL as well as Direct3D (apparently it also has a wrapper for Glide). The performance of this card for 3D is good but not great so I held back. I looked at the Iomega Buz drive but it had an awful review in the magazine I was reading (Personal Computer World) so that put me right off. I haven't heard much about the Dazzle (does it do MJPEG???) and I'd be interested to know more. The only other useful thing I've heard about is the die-shrunk G200 chip that powers the Matrox G-Series. It is due out in the next month or so and so if they put it in the Marvel, the 3D performance should really improve. If this happens then I reckon I'll get one of these as it seems to do everything and includes a great software bundle.

Chanse Guest
    you could always just get a Marvel G200 and buy an add-on 3d card for it. And I also read a good many reviews about poor performance on the iomega buz. But iomega admitted that their initial shipment was very faulty and had problems. The have since began shipping the buz with different internal hardware that fixed the problems. A co-worker bought one just last week, and it is beautiful, Captures full-screen, great visual quality, and no problems.

I just posted this to support, I guess I should have started here...What I am trying to do is buy a Webcam/Video Capture board. I am deciding between AverMedia inter cam (for both) or getting a seperate capture board and a USB camera. I'm looking for opinions on the differences. I need semi-good quaility but not too expensive (simple tele-conf. w/family). I have used a Quickcam Parallel and need a little faster. I want the video cature for a few home videos to backup to CD-R. I am mainly looking for options from people that have used either combo. Thanks
    AMD64 3200, 1 Gb Ram, ATI 9800xt(256)
    AMD 2700+, 1Gb Ram, Geforce4600 VIVO
    AMD 2000+, 1 1/8Gb Ram, ATI 8500 (128)
    AMD 1800+, 1Gb Ram, ATI 9600 pro(128)
    Intel 1.6Ghz (478), 768Mb Ram, 8500 (128)

I just posted this in the support group, I suppose I should have started here. What I am trying to do is buy a Webcam/Video Capture board. I am deciding between AverMedia inter cam (for both) or getting a capture board and USB camera. And inputs on the differences or opionion on the Aver board. I would like good quaility but not too expensive. I have used the Quick cam and I need better frame rate(it was a parallel). I need the camera for tele-conf w/family and the video board to archive home videos to CD-R. I would prefer it to be a good all-in-one solution. Trying to keep it around $150. I am mainly looking for opinions from people that have used either combo. Thanks

I just posted this in the support group, I suppose I should have started here. What I am trying to do is buy a Webcam/Video Capture board. I am deciding between AverMedia inter cam (for both) or getting a capture board and USB camera. And inputs on the differences or opionion on the Aver board. I would like good quaility but not too expensive. I have used the Quick cam and I need better frame rate(it was a parallel). I need the camera for tele-conf w/family and the video board to archive home videos to CD-R. I would prefer it to be a good all-in-one solution. Trying to keep it around $150. I am mainly looking for opinions from people that have used either combo. Thanks

Thread Information