32-bit color in Windows environment
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 32-bit color in Windows environment

32-bit color in Windows environment

In 3D definition, 32-bit color rendering means 8-bits for each red, green and blue, as well as an additional 8-bits for transparencies (???) right? But how come some graphics card have the option to display 32-bit color in Windows? Human eyes cannot see more than 16 million colors isn't it? So what does 32-bit color do? Display 4.2 billion colors? If so, how many bits for each RGB color then? Or is the additional 8-bits used to speed things up? (I don't see the logic) If anyonw knows the answers to these questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Chanse Guest
    For the most part 32-bit color is the same as a video card that puts out 200 fps. It needs to sell. We cannot see that many colors, or that many fps, but there has to be something new , or people will not upgrade. I've had people argue with me that they can see the difference in colors, but I guess they're just delusionary. i'v seen good enough palettes that I could not even tell were 256.

Okay, if it were really 4.2 billion colors, then how many bits for each R,G, and B color?

32 / 3 = 10.6667 ???

Obviously that's impossible.

Or is it 10-bits for Red, 12-bits for Green, and 10-bits for Blue (or similar)???

Thread Information