Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're all gonna DIE

Hybrid View

We're all gonna DIE

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...7924%2C00.html

sorry Huge. Couldn't help myself.
    You can talk about "that" here

Remember that guy your mom warned you about? I beat the snot outta him.

Just last Sunday the Discovery Channel showed a BBC docudrama (like its recent "Pompeii") called "Supervolcano," but that one blamed Yellowstone. ("The crater atop Mt. St. Helens is about 2 square miles. The Yellowstone caldera is some 1,500 square miles. The last major eruption at Yellowstone, some 640,000 years ago, ejected 8,000 times the ash and lava of Mt. St. Helens.")

Tagline: "This is a true story. It just hasn't happened yet."

well if something like that happens we are all dead anyways, so i wonder why they even try to forcast it

not to mention they say there are astroids out there that would only give us about 2 years notice if they came into our path. That is not enough time to redirect the rock, by means of powerful lasers and redirected sunlight to slowly push the astroid off course.

Nuclear weapons are pretty much ruled ineffective due to the size of these deadly meteors, and even if we could blow them apart, all that mass is still headed towards us just in a few more peices.

the only chance the human race has at survival is expansion to other planets. If not in our society, maybe future ones thousands of years from now will be able to conquer the universe, cause after all we now know the earth is not the only habitable place, there are millions of destinations out there- the technolgy just has to catch up

BBC docudrama ... called "Supervolcano,"
    There was an actual documentary (not the drama crap one) on exactly the same topic, saying exactly the same thing. It was much nicer than the docudrama.

Any time the supervolcanos are mentioned, they're all going to erupt "any time now."

New scenario -- All of them erupt simultaneously. 65 million years from now, the Mole People, the species that rules the earth, will discover that "the Humans and Dinosaurs were both wiped out at different times by meteor impacts that launched dust and ash high into the atmosphere and changed the climate."
    "Guns Kill People."
    If that's true, then I guess it's my pencil that makes spelling mistakes.

It's already happened.

I saw a fascinating documentary on either History or Discovery. A reseacher checking out something to do with King Arthur (missed the first few minutes of the show) was led to ancient small shelters in Ireland that were clustered together in an odd manner.
    Dating them via tree ring data led to the discovery of several years (400ish AD?) so cold it actually froze in summer. Further investigation found this was widespread around the world and despite extremely few written records from those times, found a few accounts of what we know as a nuclear winter.
    Ice cores were taken to search for isotopes (asteroid) or ash (volcano). They found ash.
    Ultimately they suspected Krakatoa, a far larger eruption than the Krakatoa explosions we know from more recent centuries. A (ground penetrating radar?) scan found a massive depression underwater with some of the current Krakatoa peaks/islands at the edges.
    They lucked out at an exposed cliff face and found some carbon to date. There was a Krakatoa eruption within a window of the date. I forget the date now, but they knew the exact year, and I think even the day.

Now just remember...mankind is bigger, badder & smarter than ma Nature. We can change the planet just by using a few automobile engines & powering our computers. What are we worried about?
    SHUT DOWN CNN They are murderous liars.

XiBase and
    OffTopicCentral

Originally posted by MetalGod
    Now just remember...mankind is bigger, badder & smarter than ma Nature. We can change the planet just by using a few automobile engines & powering our computers. What are we worried about?

Well compared to Mother Nature we are nothing, and we can't do anything to stop or control what she does.

I say if it happens it happens, as there is nothing we can do about it.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

YEA! Pollute em!

Re: We're all gonna DIE

Originally posted by Professur
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...7924%2C00.html

sorry Huge. Couldn't help myself.
    s'allright.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Since nobody can predict eruption or next asteroid hit in size I'll go with a couple of psyhics, one who predicts eruptions who said yellowstone is going to turn into a sinkhole, the other one said nothing is going to happen in the forseeable future.

Another with the 2012 end times based on aztec calender or whichever civilization that was said that the calender was never finished so that 2012 means nothing.

Just to throw out the far out angle.

Originally posted by jankerson
    Well compared to Mother Nature we are nothing, and we can't do anything to stop or control what she does.

I say if it happens it happens, as there is nothing we can do about it.
    Now, now, now...be careful...The libs & the eco-terrorists might hunt you down for that kind of backward thinking. Remember Kyoto!!! :gag:
    SHUT DOWN CNN They are murderous liars.

XiBase and
    OffTopicCentral

I was just watching a show an hour ago about the Aztec calender. I guess they were right. They predicted the world would end in 2012 when all the volcanos would erupt.
    "Guns Kill People."
    If that's true, then I guess it's my pencil that makes spelling mistakes.

And thats where this guy I read about came in after researching to make his conclusion theorizing that it wasn't finished possibly because of the extinction of those that made the calender.

(Are you guys clueless?)

We are all going to die; it just depends on how...

Feel free to search on how...here
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Found it!

The year was 535AD, the documentary was on PBS.

Summary here.

Catostrophe! part 1 script

Catastrophe! part 2 script

Thread Information