Who knows of New Zealand?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Who knows of New Zealand?

Hybrid View

Question Who knows of New Zealand?

Hey peeps,

Here in New Zealand many many people finish their studies and head on overseas to get enormous saleries for seemingly standard jobs rather than do the same job locally for peanuts.

Is this recipricated? ie Do people come to NZ for high paid jobs.

Of course there are many negative implications to NZ when people don't use their education here. We call it the 'brain drain'.

Also, many do it to either pay-off of ignore there student loans (study debts).

Your thoughts....
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Re: Who knows of New Zealand?

Originally posted by SexyMF
    Here in New Zealand many many people finish their studies and head on overseas to get enormous saleries for seemingly standard jobs rather than do the same job locally for peanuts.
    I notice there are lots of New Zealanders working in London. In fact, I think it's gotten to the stage where employers take a NZ/Aus background as a big plus point because they know most people come over with the expressed intent to work hard and earn a lot of money.

Is this recipricated? ie Do people come to NZ for high paid jobs.
    I don't believe so. People emigrate to New Zealand (or Australia for that matter) primarily for the lifestyle IMHO. Plus, savings earnt in Europe go alot further out there. There seem to be a lot of couples uprooting and effectively retiring at a young age (50 or so) with the assurance that they can comfortably get by for another ten years on a relatively low wage and then live out the rest of their life in beautiful surroundings.

I know people who have been contracted out for long periods of time to SE Asia/Australasia but they're still rooted to home and have a salary that reflects that.

In my peer group, I would guess about 1 in five has been to your part of the world to jump out of planes and climb glaciers.

Of course there are many negative implications to NZ when people don't use their education here. We call it the 'brain drain'.
    Are there incentives to staying? I know in countries such as Malaysia and China, oversees educations are heavily subsidised if there is the guarantee that the person will return to work in their native country for at least a few years.

Also, many do it to either pay-off of ignore there student loans (study debts).
    Cheeky.

I know, having done an almost identical degree for a while, that someone with your qualifications would almost certainly command a 25k (NZ$65k) salary just as a post grad. It all balances out though... cost of living 'n' all. Plus the weather is awful, heh.

Ha, I came to New Zealand last year as a lifestyle choice, a chance to see the country and to change jobs - i'd been working as a VB/sql developer for a research company for four years.

whilst the salary here is good compared to the national average i find it nothing special, however more importantly i no longer drive 45 minutes each way to work (i now cycle 15 minutes and feel much better for it), there's a beach at one end of the road and there's a mountain at the other end so yeah its a lifestyle choice coming here plus housing is cheap and i can easily afford to buy a 3 bedroom house + garage on my salary, though some other things are more expensive - furniture, electrical equipment, food, beer etc

yeah the weathers better (though not that amazing) and yeah the scenery is amazing (though i liked England) and yeah the place is relaxed, but no I won't be staying. Although i like the place, there's no place like home..

Maybe its where i moved to (New Plymouth) but i think after a winter season taking in as much snowboarding as possible and another summer after that, we (missues and I) will move back to overcrowded, overpriced south east england having enjoyed our overseas jaunt but glad to be back in a land of Ikea, Waitrose, decent pubs and clubs and a multicultural society that doesn't have a small island red neck attitude about its own greatness (sorry couldn't resist - kiwi's can be a tad narrowminded about how great their land is sometimes - apart from the ones who leave to go to london and then seemingly never want to return)

WB

Thread Information