Best 3D Card for Quake
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Best 3D Card for Quake

Hybrid View

Best 3D Card for Quake

I'm building a computer specifically for Quake. I plan on using a pentium II 350 with an AGP slot on the motherboard. I need to know which 3D card is the best for quake (under $300). Also have you heard anything about a Voodo3?

Voodoo3 is basically four V2s in SLI. Everything is the same from texture size to colour depth. If I were you I would get a TNT. Also, id doesn't recommend the Voodoo3 for QuakeIII because of that.

Voodoo3 is basically four V2s in SLI. Everything is the same from texture size to colour depth. If I were you I would get a TNT. Also, id doesn't recommend the Voodoo3 for QuakeIII because of that.

I have a PII 400 myself and am running a Creative Labs TNT card. I run Quake2 at 1024x768 and it is absolutely beautiful! Smoother than silk as well. I would recommend a card with nvidia TNT chipset, I am extremely pleased with mine.

Hey traveler, have you ever tries 1152x864 resolution?

Quake II is even nicer at that resolution, and if you are a rail gun fan like me, it makes a big diff in seeing your enemy before he sees you so you can pop him one!

I get smooth as silk 25(min)32(max) fps in quake II at 1152x863. Smooth on my pII 266. Try it on your pII 400, and you will be very happy.

As long as your monitor supports this resolution.
    Sometimes I wonder...

Got a question for you Riva TnT guys on Quake II. I've got a PII 450 with 64MB of PC100 RAM and a CL Graphics Blaster Riva TnT video card. For some strange reason, it plays a little jerky. During the game, it will stop for just a split second and read off the hard drive. As you well know, this split second can be very crucial in this game. I reformatted the hard drive last night and reinstalled everything and it still does it. It's driving me crazy. Running at 800X600 res. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's the video card or something else. Strange thing is, my roommate has exactly the same system as I and his does not do it. Help!!!
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX 570 HD 2560MB
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD
    Corsair HX 620W
    Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1

Thread Information