New Monitor
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Monitor

Hybrid View

New Monitor

I am thinking about getting a new monitor. I would like to get a 17- 19 LCD. My primary use will be for work with AutoCaD, but I also play a lot of games. My fist question concerns gaming. Have LCDs gotten to the point that they perform well in games? Next, please recommend some monitors and tell what is important to look for in specs. I have looked at some specs like response time and I have seen 25 and 16 ms. I am assuming the lower ms response time is better for gaming, but I dont know that. Any help would be appreciated

I just bought a 19" TFT with 25MS response time and play tested it with HALO. I did not see any of the problems that others have complained about. Maybe I am just too old to notice anymore, but it looked nice to me. Some of the newer design TFT monitors have response times in the 8ms range!

Current Main Rig:
    AMD FX55 @ 2.9 GHz
    2 GB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    ABIT KN8 SLi motherboard
    ATI X1900XT O/C to XTX speeds

Retired Rig:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2387 MHz. (217*11)
    512MB DDR RAM @ 436 MHz. (PC 3700)
    Abit AN7 motherboard
    BFG GeForce 6800GT OC!

im using a bottom of the range LCD From LG, the L1715S which has a 16ms response time and has NO problems in games inc. Doom III, UT2005, NFS underground 2, far cry and alot more.

LCD is the only option id consider now for me and any other system i build apart from MEGA budget, this monitor costs only 140 now at ebuyer (i payed 210 at christmas)
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

I just ordered THIS a couple days ago. If you want to wait a few more days for UPS to get it here, I can let you know how it does. Just by the specs, it looks better than most I've found for a lot more $$$.

Make/Model- Advueu AMW-F176
    Size- 17 inches
    Contrast Ratio- 450:1
    Brightness- 300 cd/m
    Response Time- 16 ms
    Maximum Resolution- 1280 x 1024
    Price- US$150 after rebates

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=A644-1706
    "Guns Kill People."
    If that's true, then I guess it's my pencil that makes spelling mistakes.

What's important to look for is reviews. The specs don't necessarily tell you the whole story.

I guess the two biggest lies are response time and colour depth, and you typically get good results in one by sacrificing the other. Response times these days mostly slot into 8, 12, 16, 20 and 25ms buckets in review terms; how much ghosting each of those gives you in games is personal opinion. 8ms response doesn't mean it's always an 8ms response; that's just the response time for a black->white change. Screens advertised as 12ms can record responses longer than 30ms for some stuff.

In terms of colour depth, there are two sorts of panels -- 8 bits per subpixel (for a total of 16.7 million actual colours) and 6 bits per subpixel (for a total of 262,000 colours, which when you add dithering means you can advertise 16.2 million "colours"). In general, the faster panels (<= 16ms) have 6 bit colour. For gaming it probably doesn't matter, but if you need good colour reproduction for graphics work then the slower panels have that advantage.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thanks for the info everyone. Skywlkr79 it will a little while before I get one so let me know how your new monitor works out.

So what do you guys do with all the space behind the LCD where the CRT tubes usually are?

I consider flat panel gimmicky and expensive still. If I had a flat panel, I would probably set it up so that the front of it is where the front of my crt is, and then the space behind would remain empty...and it would cost about $150 more for that privelege.

Mine's set up at about the back of where my old CRT was. I use the extra foot of space to pile more junk on my desk and have a place to put the hamburger or pizza.
    This space for rent. Advertise your business!

My LCD is going up against the wall when I finally get one. My room is so cramped at the moment it's a pain -- when I'm studying the keyboard goes up on the monitor to make room, and a white screen on the monitor substitutes for a desk lamp.

I can easily picture that space getting filled with junk when I get rid of this CRT. Of course, I've got so many 50 and 100 CD spindles sitting around, I'll probalby put them back there. Or maybe my Nintendo 64. I've got that hooked up, but sitting on a shelf 2' above and 3' back from the screen.
    "Guns Kill People."
    If that's true, then I guess it's my pencil that makes spelling mistakes.

Originally posted by Tuttle
    and a white screen on the monitor substitutes for a desk lamp.
    yes! i can see where youre comming from ...and you might be a redneck if....

Originally posted by krupted
    yes! i can see where youre comming from ...and you might be a redneck if....
    Pfft! It's purely a real estate issue!

Originally posted by Tuttle
    Pfft! It's purely a real estate issue!
    Screen real estate is still more important in my book than desk real estate. Especially if your doing something like CAD! It's pretty sweet for gaming too.

What resolution are you currently using treeman? Just wanted to make sure you knew that your new TFT will essentially only be able to display one resolution, typically 1280x1024 for 17" and 19" models which is less than what you'd be able to do with a decent, and cheaper CRT. I'd recommend upgrading in resolution (not just size) when you change to a new screen, more of an upgrade all round then and you get more functionality, not just something different to look at.

One resolution also means you will be playing all your games at that res. Is your system capable enough to play the games you want at that resolution, or do they even offer it at all? (e.g. Battlefield 1942 doesn't, it only does normal 4:3 screen resolutions, not the 5:4 you'd need.)

For CAD, I'd want to be working at 1600x1200 minimum, which means a 20" LCD or decent 17/19" CRT, realistically a 19" as those 17"ers that can display that resolution generally can't do so at refresh rates above 80Hz. The next problem with your scenario, as has been mentioned by Tuttle, is that of colour reproduction. Also, as screens get larger, you need a wider viewing angle for a TFT if it's in the same place on your desk. I still haven't come across one that when sat at a reasonable distance for reading text/surfing there hasn't been a noticeable colour gradient on the screen (whites tend to fade from warm to cool, blues to purples etc.). For graphics work, that's a no-no, for CAD it may be less of an issue but it's still nice to see your final rendered image how it should be.

For my needs (changing resolution in games, colour reproduction, speed) TFT is still not a good enough alternative to my CRT, and I don't use my desk space really to need more of it. You will most likely adore your TFT, the pixel perfect precision and geometry, and brightness, is very nice. I just wanted to put you in the picture about their drawbacks so you could make a better-informed decision based on your needs, not just your desires.

Happy hunting!
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

Thanks for the info Bennyboy

Originally posted by Inkara1
    Mine's set up at about the back of where my old CRT was. I use the extra foot of space to pile more junk on my desk and have a place to put the hamburger or pizza.

Thread Information