Thoughts on Gmail and privacy and stuff...?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Gmail and privacy and stuff...?

Thumbs up Thoughts on Gmail and privacy and stuff...?

I just wondered what you folks thinkg about Google's Gmail. Do you think there is any reason to be concerned about privacy? Some days I do, some days I don't. I'm kinda on the fence about it. I long time back I visted www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com but I don't know if the concerns have much merit, if any at all.

I just think about what if Google uses Gmail to 'data mine' information about the people that use it's email service. Coupled with their new Desktop Search, Blogger, and Google Search, they could put together a lot of information about each person. Am I being paranoid? Does Yahoo have just as good of a chance as Google does? Are local ISP email accounts more secure and private than web based email...or are they just as suspect?

These are some of the things that I think about sometimes. Just sometimes. I think of this stuff going forward because of how reliant we are becoming on the internet in our lives.

Part of me wants to just be as anonymous as possible and not have much of an internet 'presence'. The other part of me wants to embrace it and use the blog services, free web email and other things.

What are your thoughts....if any on this stuff?

Thanks,
    David
    Colossians 3 - rules to live by.
    <><

chcr is offline lemme offa this ride!!!!!
    I think that privacy was gone way before the internet.
    Things equal to other things are not necessarily the same.

The internet has nothing to do with privacy. As chcr pointed out, it's been gone for some time.

It's rather amusing that people post on a BBS or two or twenty, over time information is posted & we worry about privacy. Once the enter key is hit, it's been voluntarily released into the ether. About the only privacy available anymore is in an undergrround bunker.
    SHUT DOWN CNN They are murderous liars.

XiBase and
    OffTopicCentral

Blogging I don't trust unless its by a respected or well known individual, for instance pres clinton has or had a blog.

Originally posted by chcr
    I think that privacy was gone way before the internet.
    You said it.

Originally posted by rangeral
    Blogging I don't trust unless its by a respected or well known individual, for instance pres clinton has or had a blog.
    We all know how respected & reliable his word was

XiBase and
    OffTopicCentral

Originally posted by MetalGod
    I think he would qualify under "well blown individual.....oops I mean well known".

You got that right....

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

Soooo............is this thread about Clinton or Gmail?
    Colossians 3 - rules to live by.
    <><

Welcome to Off Topic

XiBase and
    OffTopicCentral

privacy is fading everyday. wait till RFiD catches of, every piece of clothing, almost every item that exists will have a radio frequency identification on it.

Yeah itll be nice, these things will speed up everything in our lives and virutally eliminate goods being stolen, but at what cost

Theyre say there will be a way to destroy the chips that are smaller than a grain of rice, but i can only imagine how many of those things they can sneek into things and you wouldnt even know it
    Last edited by krupted; April 5th, 2005 at 07:19 PM.

Kinda scary don't you think...having "the Government watching everything we do".

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

Originally posted by jankerson
    Kinda scary don't you think...having "the Government watching everything we do".
    Right after the OK City bombing, catching Nichols & McVeigh within hours, wiped the fallacy of privacy right off the map. It was at that point that I knew we are no longer free.

XiBase and
    OffTopicCentral

Right after the OK City bombing, catching Nichols & McVeigh within hours, wiped the fallacy of privacy right off the map. It was at that point that I knew we are no longer free.

I don't think we have been Free really for a long time, but then there is a fine line between a free society and a safe society.

chcr is offline lemme offa this ride!!!!!
    Originally posted by jankerson
    I don't think we have been Free really for a long time, but then there is a fine line between a free society and a safe society.
    Now, I don't think it's such a fine line at all. You give up freedoms to gain safety. Really free societies are always dangerous places. I think with certain exceptions we strike a pretty good balance, though.
    Things equal to other things are not necessarily the same.

Thread Information