Let's cut to the chase - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's cut to the chase

Originally posted by ol' man
    This place has been here for what a day or two and people are already complaining?

Only the ones who came over from OT Central it seems.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Originally posted by jankerson
    I suppose. They will get less traffic. I have not been over to OT for along time. I gave the site $5 for support then 2 days later they banned me from one of the forums so I have not been back since and they did keep my money even though I said I wanted it back.

Not the most professional site.

I suppose. They will get less traffic. I have not been over to OT for along time. I gave the site $5 for support then 2 days later they banned me from one of the forums so I have not been back since and they did keep my money even though I said I wanted it back.

Not the most professional site.

I went over there a few times when they first opened it and that was it for me.

Yeah so it seems.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

Actually, I disagree with rangeral -- we're not trying to be like talking to 10-year-olds at a scout meeting, we're just trying to be like adults having civil conversation, or like the friendly, savvy exchange of info in the other HWC forums. What we don't want is something like:

Fred: I think Illinois is going to run the table now that UConn is out, what do you think?

Tom: No matter what the polls say I don't think Hillary is going to run in '08; she's just too polarizing or disliked by too many.

Ken: Hey, I'm finally going to take the plunge and buy an HDTV -- can anybody recommend one?

Beavis: Heh heh heh heh. How about those gazongas on Pamela Anderson? Heh heh heh heh heh.

Butthead: Heh heh. Doody! I said "doody"! Heh heh heh heh heh.

What ticks off the mods, and doesn't fool anyone, is this sort of willful playing coy or pretending not to understand, "I'm confused, what are the rules specifically, I'm just trying to find out what's OK" ... common sense and courtesy, is all. OTC is a fun place to hang out, no doubt about it, but I remember a thread there where someone asked about maybe dialing back on use of the F-word in every other post and everybody jumped on him/her, "Freedom of speech! Nazi censorship! We're not your subservient little drones! F F F F F F!" A few people ruining it for the rest of us is what got HWC OT closed in '01, and what could get it closed this time. Your call.

Thanks for reading,
    Eric

I think OTC's great - but this isn't OTC, it's HWC. People have different expectations of this site and therefore different rules apply.

The only "controversial" posts here so far have been those with an underlying intent to bug the mods/admins and waste their time. And it's worked... well done. Now grow up perhaps?

Originally posted by MuFu
    I think OTC's great - but this isn't OTC, it's HWC. People have different expectations of this site and therefore different rules apply.

The only "controversial" posts here so far have been those with an underlying intent to bug the mods/admins and waste their time. And it's worked... well done. Now grow up perhaps?
    Well said.

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    Originally posted by MuFu
    Now grow up perhaps?

You first.

You first.

That's a good point. If I can grow up, anybody can.

I believe the answer happened, in another thread.

Instead, why not just take jankerson's advice and start posting and participating? If threads are off-color, they'll be closed. If people deliberately push too far, they'll be banned. If vandals do enough damage, we'll end this trial period and close the board again. As I've said in another thread, it's your call.
    If they will be summarily closed & banning is so close behind because this adult finds that adult intolerable or some other adult once had bad hot chocolate & now believes all hot chocolate is sinful & the use of a word, a legitimate, non-vulgarese word, can cause perspiration to break onto the brow of another human being, then we're not all defining adult the same way.

Thank you for your time.
    SHUT DOWN CNN They are murderous liars.

XiBase and
    OffTopicCentral

Sigh ... Yeah, Gonz, you and the Prof have made your position clear: that the slightest request for mature, civil behavior or anything one degree short of unlimited cussing, belching, and farting equals totalitarian censorship, exaggerated tyranny, bluenoses having a fainting fit when someone mentions playing cricket in the rain or hot chocolate (and I'm not going to ask what deep psychological pit that popped out of). It was a false argument in '01, it's a false argument now, and you and we and everybody know it. My best to the gang at OTC.

Eric

Thanks eric you said it rite in both of your replies, I don't mind some adult material I'm not totally square just what ends up happening or this pushing the envelope stuff and playing dumb about it.

I come here to forget my disability and or sickness and enjoy some good discussion, get to know members better so it makes me get upset easily when some try to trash our place from the onset, guess it was a little too much for me to expect that we could avoid it, seems the young folk have to have rebellion and I fell for it, my mistake.

Tell you what, my son doesn't act like this of his own accord so maybe I'm a little spoiled to expect so much. A reality check.

*very slow applause*
    You can talk about "that" here

Remember that guy your mom warned you about? I beat the snot outta him.

Originally posted by egrevstad
    -- we're not trying to be like talking to 10-year-olds at a scout meeting, we're just trying to be like adults having civil conversation, or like the friendly, savvy exchange of info in the other HWC forums.

its refreshing to see a group of people actually trying to reach a higher level of maturity rather than showing even more disrespect. A few months ago hardwarecentral was slippin my imagination of a reputible forum, i think this second chance is a nice sign of respect.

I believe rangeral ment talk with 10 year old manners, you can still talk about the fabrication process of a 90nm chip but just with common courtesy

Yeah, those mother****ing 90-nanometer fabs with their 300mm wafers, they **** ****.

Eric

Originally posted by jankerson
    Right, those should go back to where they come from.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Thread Information