Hello folks - Page 4
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hello folks

The easy way to understand is to use common sense that I know you have.

I think you will be fine.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

HWC Folding@Home Team -- Learn How to Join the Team Here ---Detailed Stats

I'll be fine, sure. I'm more than willing to hash out details in private, but what about the next guy? I was here for the old OT. I mostly left because of the new dictatorship. I understand that a site has to have rules. Those rules define the character of a site. And the members should have the obligation to police themselves for the most part.

But your comment about using common sense is exactly the sort of problem that crops up. Last time I was in Scotland, I nearly choked on a cup of tea after seeing full frontal nudity in a shower gel commercial. No big deal to them. The Sun carries a topless model on Page 3 of every copy, and parents send the kids to the packie's for it every morning before school. But the bloodbaths that adorn the 6pm news all over america don't (didn't) get airtime over there. Heck, some people are trying to eat, y'know.

Perhaps, perhaps us OTCers might 'ride the edge' more than others. But that's just until we find the groove. If it's worth anything, we've had to oust folk that couldn't even stay within our much broader scope. They went and created an even more liberal site (awaiting permission for link) called PiL. And more power to them. Everyone needs somewhere to be, with rules that match their morals and ethics.

But don't forget, for OTC, this is our holy grail. We more than anyone want HWC-Ot back.
    You can talk about "that" here

Remember that guy your mom warned you about? I beat the snot outta him.

Originally posted by Professur
    But don't forget, for OTC, this is our holy grail. We more than anyone want HWC-Ot back.

This is not The old "HWC OT" nor will it ever be, that is long gone.

I was here too and were all of the other Moderators during the time it was shut down.

The rules of the site are clearly stated in the AUP and the Sticky at the top of this forum, this is not a debate, nor will it ever be.

Feel free to post all you want, remembering this is not OTC.

Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

E6750 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, GB P35C-DS3R MB, ATI Radeon X1950XT, Seagate 7200.9 320GB, Win XP Pro SP2, Enermax Liberty 500w

and parents send the kids to the packie's for it every morning before school.
    i dont think racism is allowed here eather.

as for the advert your talking about, ive never seen the one your talking about? and i cant see them letting it be shown over here.

and yes it is true about the sun having page 3, but its just the normal, its not as if kids are never going to see it in their life...
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

i dont think racism is allowed here eather.

Did I miss something...

Originally posted by jankerson
    Did I miss something...
    yeah he said... to the packie's for it
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Originally posted by Martin_89
    yeah he said... to the packie's for it

Ok I am confused....

PM me and tell me what that means.

Sorry, Prof, I have trouble believing your earnest naivete and expressions of support when your first comment in the OTC thread about the return of HWC OT was "Puss--s" and your second concluded, "A--holes."

We're not going to give you written rules specifying every word or topic that is and isn't in good taste, because civilized adults don't need them. I was thinking earlier of writing, "If you wouldn't say it in ____, don't say it here," but couldn't think of a perfect analogy ... in church? No, that's too formal. In a party with friends? Pretty much, but depending on the friends and the beverage service that might be too rowdy. When you're invited to lunch with a business client? Sort of, but neither you nor we are clients or bosses; this isn't business.

Instead, why not just take jankerson's advice and start posting and participating? If threads are off-color, they'll be closed. If people deliberately push too far, they'll be banned. If vandals do enough damage, we'll end this trial period and close the board again. As I've said in another thread, it's your call.

Thanks for reading,
    Eric

Martin, sorry, but if that's a racism remark, you're the first to tell me. I've never had a Pakistanian tell me he's offended by the term. Now calling an Indian a packie .... there you're in for a fight and a half.

As for the ad, I'd love to tell you what soap, and what channel, but it was over 15 years ago. I couldn't tell you what colour the cup was either.

Eg, the ***** comment was made before I'd even posted in the movie thread. In fact, it was made before I knew that housten wasn't here anymore. I was pleased to discover his absence. The a-hole comment was in response to having my entire discussion sumarily erased. Justified, I think.

As for the ad, I'd love to tell you what soap, and what channel, but it was over 15 years ago.
    maby thats why i cant remember it, id be about 2 years old, if that!

as for the remark, i suppose it depends where about in the world you are, if i was to say the word infront of a police officer here then he can lift me and get me charged with racism, but in other parts of the world this may be different.

i took no offence to the word with me being white but it was just incase there was people who would take offence here and that could start somthing.

cheers,
    Martin

That's the new hyper-PC police training for ya. But I'm talking about the suburbs of Glasgow (again, 15 years back) not the middle of New York.

But you see, once again, there's my point. Does every single thing we want to discuss have to be washed down to ensure that noone, anywhere, at any time might take offence? If so, even Gonz's weather and sports topics just went right out the window. I like watching cricket in the rain. There, I just offended half the membership.

Now, I know, it's not your fault. The staff here are walking a fine line between making this place accessible, and keeping the parent corp uninterested. I don't wanna make things harder for ya.

You all know where the HWC-OT thread is at OTC. Let's have any further discussion of this point there. That way, there's no corporation to risk offending.

Thread Information