Compaq Presario 900 series pp2140
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Compaq Presario 900 series pp2140

Unhappy Compaq Presario 900 series pp2140

Help!

Hi, I would need some help on a compaq presario 900 laptop. The problem is, that when I switch the powe button on sometimes it boots normally then after a while I do not have any display . There after when I switch it off then on again the display does not come on, the harddrive sounds like it wants to boot. It just makes a short niose and then that's it.
    My question is: has somebody ever had this type of problem before? Is it a harddrive problem or a problem with the voltage?

Would be very grateful for any advice and help.

Thank you
    funny_dayz

Re: Compaq Presario 900 series pp2140

Welcome to the forum.

Your issue could very well be a bad inverter. Does your display go totally black, or can you make out something very dim on the screen?

If it is the inverter, that is generally not that hard to replace. It is a common problem, and, at least in my expreience, it is not devestatingly expensive-about $150, if you have it done at a shop. You can do it yourself, if you feel comfortable that you can get to it. Usually, it is located in the display panel itself.

Hi and thanks a lot for your quick reply. Yes, the screen goes black and one can not see anything. The one thing that disturbs me though, is that after the laptop ran for a while then crashed, after that the screen is black and the harddrive makes a bit of a noise but one does not have the feeling that it boots. Is that also a problem to do with the inverter? One thing I also noted is that the laptop gets quite warm and that the fan doesn't run always. Is that normal too?
    I had the display panel open cause there were a few screws loose and making a noise. Is the Inverter that black long stick connected with two cables a pink and I think a white or a black cable? Is there a possibility of an explosion diagramm over the internet?
    My last question is if it is the inverter where can I order it from as I am from Austria?

Will be very grateful once again for your help.

I would check the concern you have about the hard drive by attaching an external monitor to the laptop-that will at least give you a display to run diagnostics on the hard drive. Why don't you try that and see if you get any error messages?

What you describe as a long black stick does sound like the inverter. I don't know how to get one in Austria-suggest that you Google it with your laptop model number and see what pops up.

It is not unusual for the inverter to work at boot and then, after a while, to blip out-and it may work again on the next boot, etc.

Thanks again for your tip with the external monitor. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself.
    How does the inverter look like? can I measure the current? How can I tell if it is really defect?

Thanks
    funny_dayz

I've had that problem to with a Compaq laptop. It's all to do with the screen (bad contact in inverter, I think).
    Looking intelligent takes more than looking coool.

What does the inverter look like? Where can I find it?

I found out what the converter looks like. I think I will open the display again and measure the connectors leading to the converter if neccessary solder and see if that helps.

Originally posted by funny_dayz
    I found out what the converter looks like. I think I will open the display again and measure the connectors leading to the converter if neccessary solder and see if that helps.
    Reseating that connector will often solve the issue. Let us know how you come out.

Thread Information