Good games
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Good games

Good games

I'm not really much of a gamer, but i would like to be, what is a good RPG, like Kotor, or Doom, i have a radeon 9200, and a sempron 2700+, 1 gig of memory, and windows 2000, could anyone suggest any good, games that i could run? Thanks in advance.

You should be able to run jdoom with your setup for Doom/2.

http://www.doomsdayhq.com
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

Graphics-wise it looks pretty dated these days, but Deus Ex is still an absolute classic to play. For me it's still on a par with HL2 in terms of the overall experience - the story is utterly brilliant.

edit: You could probably pick it up for a few dollars/pound on ebay now
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Beyond Good and Evil.

You can pick this game up for bargain bin prices even though it's one of the best action-adventure RPG's (loosely) on the PC. The poor sales were more indicative of a lackluster marketing campaign than overall game quality, but their loss is your gain. It should run ok at 800x600 on your computer.

If you've ever played Rayman 2/3, this game was developed by many of the same people.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

I know it might not be what your looking for but you should be able to run Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 on that machine.
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

What looks to be the best RPG coming out IMO is from Bethsoft

ElderScrolls IV Oblivion.

Best RPG I've ever played was Morrowind, this have much improved graphics and supposedly much better AI. Can't wait for this one!

http://bethsoft.com/games/games_oblivion.html
    Last edited by Tuxy; February 11th, 2005 at 11:09 AM.

I've seent the screen shots and man I'm glad I'm about to do build a new system. I'd have to agree that Morrowind was one of the best RPG's I've ever played. I can't wait for Oblivion.

Well, as far as RPGs go my 2 favorites are Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate II . BG II was developed by Bioware who made KOTOR as well. They should run prefectly fine on your system too and are fairly cheap, but Planescape can be really hard to find I hear.
    Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal ~Einstein

Well, since you mention KOTOR, in the meantime KOTOR2 is out, and I'm having a blast in it. The story is a lot more middle-ground this time, and there are equally good reasons to go DS as to go LS.

"The Fall -- Last Days Of Gaia" is also a nice recent post-apocalyptic RPG. It's as close as you can get to a Fallout clone without hearing from Interplay's lawyers, really. Well, with a real time combat and a totally fubar game system, but then the fubar game system can also be seen as cloning Fallout

Then there's "Sid Meier's Pirates!" Not quite RPG, but still a nice game. (Literally my _only_ complaint is the dancing-with-the-governors-daughter minigame, which I find just annoying and a major waste of my time.)

If you're into city- or empire-building games you should _really_ check out "Immortal Cities: Children Of The Nile." It's by the same people who made, for example, Pharaoh. Except it's a lot more realistic, and it has much prettier graphics.

It's sorta more like Tropico with an ancient Egyptian theme. Those people actually think and act for themselves this time, rather than just expecting to be withing a building's radius (a la Sim City) or expecting a market walker to bring stuff to their home (a la Pharaoh, Caesar III or Zeus). You have to see it for yourself, but basically they actually feel alive.

Well, for that matter, if you're into city-building, you really have to check out "Evil Genius". It's actually not as much building a "city" as an evil genius lair. Or probably more accurately, it's like Dungeon Keeper with a James Bond movie theme.

Or to go back to RPGs, probably the best RPG of 2004 is "Vampire, The Masquerade: Bloodlines." Very pretty too, but what really made it worth it for me was playing in the modern times, rather than having yet another D&D clone to play.

Knights of the Old Repulic 2 is a very fun game. It is the current one I am working on finishing. The story is very in depth. In fact the game is very story based. I'd recommend that one

Thread Information