Video and Server 2003
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Video and Server 2003

Video and Server 2003

I have a workstation that I have converted over to server 2003. The problem I am encountering is that I have to have a monitor connected to boot. I knew I had to have a video card to POST but an actual monitor? Would this be a possible function of the video card or is it a PC as a whole issue? Currently it is a Radeon 9700 Pro.
    Secondly, I am thinking of taking the video card I have in there and replacing with something a lot less powerful/resource intensive. What would be a good video card for a server that I only use RDP as a visual interface?
    Secondly for my workstation. What would be better to use: a Radeon 9600 Pro with 256 MB RAM or a Radeon 9700 Pro with 128?

Re: Video and Server 2003

Originally posted by James_Ber
    I have a workstation that I have converted over to server 2003. The problem I am encountering is that I have to have a monitor connected to boot. I knew I had to have a video card to POST but an actual monitor? Would this be a possible function of the video card or is it a PC as a whole issue? Currently it is a Radeon 9700 Pro.
    See if there is a "Halt On:" option in your BIOS setup menus. There may be a setting that allows you to boot with no monitor connected.

Secondly, I am thinking of taking the video card I have in there and replacing with something a lot less powerful/resource intensive. What would be a good video card for a server that I only use RDP as a visual interface?
    Well, obviously you can get away with the cheapest card available since RDP completely bypasses the remote PC's video hardware (AFAIK). Maybe you have something old and dusty lying about that you could use.

Secondly for my workstation. What would be better to use: a Radeon 9600 Pro with 256 MB RAM or a Radeon 9700 Pro with 128?
    What do you use the workstation for? Regardless, the 9700 Pro is would be a better choice, but it'll be significantly faster if you're using any type of hardware video acceleration e.g. CAD previews.

Thread Information