Need a good Video Card
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need a good Video Card

Need a good Video Card

Okay, I've been looking for a new 2D/3D video card. Being the Matrox fan that I am, I'm tending to lean toward a Mill. G200 but with all this business about no fully functioning ICD out for it yet, I'd like to know what else is really really good for hard gaming. I've seen a G200 in action and was impressed. What about a Graphics Blaster of STB? Does anyone have one that can give first-hand accounts on?
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX 570 HD 2560MB
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD
    Corsair HX 620W
    Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1

Well first of all, it depends on your system. Does it have the power to back your graphics card?

Well, The RIVA TnT is currently the best bet now. STB's Velocity 4400 is good, but the Creative Graphics Blaster is cheaper, not by a big margin though.

Another player in the TnT pack now is the Hercules Dynamite TNT which was just reviewed by this site.

I myself have a CL Graphics Blaster and I must say, I'm, quite impressed by its perfomance.

If you already have a 2D card, opt for the Voodoo2 instead. It's a pure3D only card, and requires a 2D card to back it up. If you already have a Matrox Millenium card, just pop a Voddo2 card from STB or Creative and you have a good and tested combination for good performance.

There's alsoo the Banshee chip, but in my point of view it is not a strong competitor in the field. Your choice should either be the TnT or V2, or maybe in a little while, the S3 Savage which looks quite promising.

As far as a system, I'm running a Celeron 300A on an Abit BH6 mainboard so I'm pretty sure that there's no trouble with power. And price really isn't an issue either. I mean, if you're going to do it, do it right the first time. Also, I'm trying to lean away from the stand alone 3D accelerator if I can get away with it.

I've looked at the CL Graphics Blaster and wondered if it was any good or not. The fact that they used SDRAM instead of SGRAM on that board has got me in a loop.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX 570 HD 2560MB
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD
    Corsair HX 620W
    Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1

Thread Information