9800PRO Vs 6600GT Review
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 9800PRO Vs 6600GT Review

Hybrid View

9800PRO Vs 6600GT Review

ive heard alot of people recommend both cards and i didnt know what one is best (thinking of upgrading again).

well i found a review, its not in english but its got the numbers and thought id post it for you.

HERE
    Shuttle System l Intel Core2Extreme l 8GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    IBM ThinkPad T60 l 2GHz Core2Duo l 4GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

When I started reading the review I thought the 9800Pro was beating the 6600GT, until I realised it was just the vanilla 6600 card. Scrolling down, the 9800 Pro gets a kicking in any benchmark that isn't CPU limited at the 1024x768 test resolution (i.e. 3DMark2001 and HL2).

If you are thinking of upgrading then I think the gap between the 9600XT and a 9800Pro is not enough, although you would notice it. Considering you can get an AGP 6600GT for 133 (OcUK special this week), only about 10 more than a 9800 Pro, the nVidia option is a no-brainer. Check out Anand's article on CPU scaling with HL2, came out today (written by the man as well, it makes a difference). After you get over the disappointment that those who can afford the top-end Athlon 64s really are getting a decent frame boost, you get to the interesting real-world options where you see how performance scales with more modest CPUs and GPUs. The 9800 Pro hits a plateau pretty quickly as you raise the CPU speed, but the 6600GT just carries on giving the love.

I was thinking a heavily CPU dependent game like HL2 would benefit from me upgrading my Athlon 2400+ to a 3200+ say, but with my 9800 Pro I now see it would be a waste for gaming. Basically, next stop for me is going to be a complete system overhaul. As for your options, I might consider moving to a socket 939 platform and buy a PCIe 6600GT. Take advantage of the extra headroom on the card while also not buying an AGP card that will be junked when you do eventually get a new CPU/MB.

Just to reiterate, there really is no comparison between the 6600GT and the 9800 Pro, much as it pains me to admit it. I bought my Radeon exactly a year ago for 135, it's encouraging to see that it's taken till now to find a competitor at that price, AND that I'm still more than happy with its performance.

BB.
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

Off topic, but it seems convenient to ask here, both cards claim to utilize AGP 8x. Will the performance be undercut on a 4x M/B, if I only want to play at 1024 resolution?

no

how do you like that for short and simple

Thread Information