Thread: New system not performing well.

Angry New system not performing well.

I have recently put together a system consisting of the parts below:

Athlon 3200+ 64 processor
    Asus AV8 M'Board
    Geforce 6600 GT 3d Card
    Seagate Barracuda 160gb HDD
    2 x 512mb Crucial memory.

I have performed the video stress test that came with Counter Strike but the best I can get is 22.8fps.

I know that it can do better but i've tried eveything I can think of, have updated my bios for motherboard, have fixed the bug that I heard about where the motherboard drivers did not support my processor.
    Have just installed the latest 3d card drivers but that only put the frame rate up by 0.8fps.

help please.

You got AA or AF turned on? DX9 installed? Is this a fresh install of the OS? Have you installed the motherboard's chipset drivers? I've never run the CS stress test, but I can run Half Life 2 at 1600x1200 max with 16xAF and 2xAA smooth.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Welcome To The Forum

Since you said a new system and quoted your hard drive im thinking it was a fresh install yes?

download the Latest Motherboard drivers for your motherboard chipset.
    Gigabyte Z87M-D3H l Pentium DC 3.2GHz l 16GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Radeon 7750 OC Edition l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Dell OptiPlex 745 l Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz l 4GB Ram l 64GB OCZ SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Lenovo ThinkPad T61 l C2D T7700 2.4GHz l 8GB Ram l 60GB Kingston SSD l Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Unhappy

I figured that a nearly full hard drive was initially causing some problems but upon downloading the newest drivers available for my chuipset the actual fps increase is just 5.

Taking me to the dizzying heights of 27fps.

Have installed drivers for chipset, 3d card... don't know what else to do.

Considering a format and start again.

That is likely the best option.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Windows can get bogged down with random bits of files and folders as time goes on. Not even deleting things will help, it can actually make it worse some times.

Format. There is nothing quite like starting fresh with new parts, newly cleaned HD, and a fresh copy of Windows.

Originally posted by Todd a
    You got AA or AF turned on?
    ^check that^

Check the anti-aliasing/anisotropic filtering settings in the nVidia Display Properties driver pages and in CS itself.

I'd been looking for the AA & AF settings but they were both turned off by default.

Changed my system setup to be geared towards high performance and away from quality and this did sweet fa. Still only 27.86fps.

Would the order in which I installed my drivers really have any bearing on my system? i.e. if I only put the up-to-date motherboard drivers on very recently?

When Saturday comes Windows shall be wiped.

Maybe try some other benchmarks, post some results, might help in figuring out whats going on

I just changed my setup, allready shipped off 6600GT, so unfortunately I cant help you with comparative benchmark.

Thread Information