Cheap CD Printing Fix for Epson R200/R300 and the like
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Cheap CD Printing Fix for Epson R200/R300 and the like

Cheap CD Printing Fix for Epson R200/R300 and the like

There is a well known problem with these printers while printing directly to a cd (one of the main marketing points of this new model).

After 15 or so discs being run through the machine, the tray will slip while going in. After awhile a physical push is needed for the process to even work.

The cause of this is the leading clear plastic edge on the front of the cd tray. This gets worn down and the printer cannot grab it effectively.

The solution i have come up with is simply attatching a strip of tyvek tape to the lip of the tray, and folding it over to the bottom. This will make the lip a bit thicker and easier for the printer to grab. I use tyvek tape because of its durability. Regular scotch tape might work fine but i doubt for very long.

I have done this with great success, i will try to post a pic soon, but its not a very complicated idea...

Its a heck of a lot better than buying a new tray for $10

_____
    edit
    _____

here's the pic of the tray with the tape installed, front and back. Sorry if it seems a little hillrod, but it works good.

I didnt feel the need to trim the back perfectly as it really doesnt matter, i think it actually holds a little better anyway.

Just use the factory cut edge of the tape to get the top lined up right.

Its easy, quick, and looks like crap, but it works
    Last edited by krupted; January 25th, 2005 at 08:45 PM.

My front tape was fine and undamaged but still slipped. Ive found a proper fix for this.
    Underneath the tray you'll see that its very shiny, this causes the rollers not to grab properly, all I did was grab some medium grain sandpaper and rub underneath the tray until course....BOOM sorted.

Im printing 25 to 50 cd,s at a time so this got quite frustrating believe me!!

trust me this works

i was totally thinking of the sandpaper trick and then found this thread... good call glennyboy. i'm gettin out the sandpaper....

btw: i've printed over 300 dvd's before mine started slipping. now giving it a little push works fine, but a good fix is much better!

hey, nice trick glennyboy. i found en even better solution- take the whole printer and place it in the trash, it will fix the problem seriously. dont forget to go out and buy a canon pixma model. they are an extremely effective, and permanent, solution to the epson printer woes

and also, any pixma prints on cds. even american models- you just have to enable the printers to do so. it takes about 5 minutes.
    Last edited by krupted; July 27th, 2006 at 09:19 PM.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Wow- months of nightmare CD printing over! I'd pretty much gone back to handwritten labels, resolving to buy a new printer for the next batch of album promos.

I checked the bottom of the tray- easy to spot the wear- took some medium-grade sandpaper and rubbed across the wear (ie side-to-side) to roughen-up the surface and stuck a CD in. Hey presto, printed first time, perfectly.

Thanks for an elegant, economic and environmental quick-fix for a problem that's nearly seen me launch my printer out of my third-floor window on several occasions.

Still fancy a Canon Pixma though, but at least the Epson can still be used as a CD-printing workhorse.

Thread Information