Need to do Something to Perform Better
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need to do Something to Perform Better

Unhappy Need to do Something to Perform Better

hi,

I trust everyone's new year is going well!

I'm perplexed, maybe one of you could lend me about 2+ Ghz of Speed! I'm embarassed to admit that I have a puny 1.2 Celeron with 512MB Ram. What I do have going for me is a fairly good card although nothing like I see in your posts it's a GeForce 5200 with 256MB, and a DSL Speed that's averaging 2.8Mbps. I haven't run into a game that makes me lag until that Nova Logic Joint Ops. And, occationally on Black Hawk Down when there are many explosions at one time.

I have a 40GB HD that reads only 32GB's to me? And, it's down to around 2.5 to 3% free space. It has been suggested to me to up grade to an actual computer (NOT! gonna happen in current circumstances ) but it has also been suggested that I get a 2nd HD and I just so happen to have a 25GB WD 5200RPM around. Then Load games onto it and it will give me quite a bit better performance.

Would this advice be correct or partly the answer or a bigger problem

If so could you lay out the proper sequence of events for me. I'm more concerned about the formatting & partitioning...&...Cable Select vs. Master and Slave...What is the best route to take since I do not have to load the OS (which is XP Home) on it.

Problem 2 is that I bought this drive before XP came out or at least post the printing of the instruction booklet that came with it. I've called both HP and WD and both say it's supported in my machine. However, I need my hand held on the process since WD said just install it and then boot to it and Windows XP will do the rest is this the best route?? And, how do I boot to that drive?
    (bye the bye it came with some software to do that as well!)

It's long I know perhaps I will learn how to post more succinctly in the very near future!

I would appreciate any and all the assistance you may have to share!

Thanx Much,

Wheels

It's likely that you have a 7200rpm drive in right now(do you know?)....the one not being used is 5400rpm I presume.

The problem is that the 5400rpm drive will probably be alot slower. If you can possibly move some of your data to it(things that aren't as speed dependent as games....maybe mp3s or movie files) , then it will do you some good to put it in.

You should have at least 6 or 7 gigs free to keep from bogging the drive down IMO. Anyway you can delete any files/programs you are not using or back them up to CDs?

IWC

hi,

Thanx Much for the reply!

I see what you mean!...?How would you suggest to back them up the programs and files. I don't currently need but cannot just uninstall due to future use?

I'm also concerned re: Programs that I haven't a disk for such as games, that were downloaded etc. will I get exactly that same data replaced once I've backed them up and then re: installed or restored them for the backup CD...or...Would it require the CD to do so.

How do you think it is best or what procedure do you use to back up data I have XP Home Addition?

XP Home also has an application that allows you to transfer data from the C: Drive to anywhere, such as another drive, that you should install. However, I'm not quite getting the way it functions, any comments on that, I've read it but don't quite get it!

Once again thanx for the replies.

WheelChair

Oh by the by, how do I tell what and how much of a drive is taken up by the recovery system on my 40 GB Drive. It registers only 32 GB when you do any query and the guy a HP said that they don't need nearly that amount to do that.

So my thought is that I may be able to take some of that and ??? if that is a hidden partition?? & In my original request I referred to the format and partition process on the new drive, can you suggest the best way to do that as well!

Thanx, I'll await your or anyone's reply!

W____

If you have any large data I suggest burning the files to a CD (mp3s? videos?). I wouldn't recommend trying to backup a program & trying to bring it back later.

I'm not familiar with how manufacturers hide any files for recovery on HDs. Usually they hide the partition somehow from what I hear.

I know that a 40GB hard drive actually has something like 36GB of space as reported by the operating system because when they advertize 40GB they mean 40,000 bytes (1GB = 1,000 MB), and to an OS 1GB = 1028MB.

Is there anything on the 25GB drive that you might need?

Do you know how things are setup in your computer? Your current HD is probably set to master on your primary IDe channel (should be). What I would suggest is connecting the new HD to master on your secondary IDE channel.

There should be a jumper across either the master or slave pins on the back of the 25GB hard drive. The jumper should be across the master pins. when you plug it into the IDE cable it should be the first thing plugged in after the motherboard on the cable that is not already plugged into your HD (assuming there even is another cable). if you had to unplug something to put it into the first slot (like a CD drive) you should plug the CD drive into the END of the cable and set it's jumper to slave (just pull the little black plastic thing off).

Plug in the power to the hard drive and it MAY be as simple as turning your computer on (assuming the drive was already in use and formatted correctly).
    Last edited by ItWuzCryptic; January 29th, 2005 at 02:09 AM.

Originally posted by ItWuzCryptic
    I know that a 40GB hard drive actually has something like 36GB of space as reported by the operating system because when they advertize 40GB they mean 40,000 bytes (1GB = 1,000 bytes), and to an OS 1GB = 1028 bytes.
    Actually that should read 1 gB = approx. 1,000 mB or megaBytes).
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Originally posted by ItWuzCryptic
    I know that a 40GB hard drive actually has something like 36GB of space as reported by the operating system because when they advertize 40GB they mean 40,000 bytes (1GB = 1,000 MB), and to an OS 1GB = 1028MB.
    My 40GB hard drive is reported to be 38.2GB. but hard drives formated capacity differ slightly form each manufacture.

Actually 1gB = 1024 megaBytes
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Originally posted by ELF2000
    My 40GB hard drive is reported to be 38.2GB. but hard drives formated capacity differ slightly form each manufacture.

Actually 1gB = 1024 megaBytes
    I messed it all up. Yeah, should be 1024. I need to go back to school for my powers of 2 and prefixes. I guess I got 1028 from 128?

Thread Information