Dual Display... help!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Dual Display... help!

Unhappy Dual Display... help!

I'm working on setting up a Dual Monitor Display for my PC, and I'm running into a few problems. First I'll tell you what I've done, then what I've come up with as may be the problems.

What I've attempted to do is to use my current Graphics Card (BGF GeForce FX 5500 OC 256MB) and an old PCI card found on an old PC (S3 VIRGE GX/DX) in order to do this (That may be the problem as is...).

Assuming that the problem isn't somewhere in that you can't combine an AGP with a PCI or that the difference between the two cards is simply too high, I've had the following problems.

If I start it up with my BIOS reading the PCI slot first, it boots up fine, but there are no options for me to change to a Dual Display, if I open up my Device Manager, it tells me

Error Message wrote:
    This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

My Computer should be chewing through this on actual Resources, so I have no clue as to what that is referring to, only that it doesn't work.

Now, when I reconfigure my BIOS so that it reads the card in the AGP slot first, it ends up reading neither of the two cards, going to some system default setting that is in 4-bit colour and has a resolution of 640x480. Both of the cards are read as having errors according to the device manager.

I've been browsing for solutions, and one thing I found hinted that there may be no way to combine an AGP and a PCI card, although I can't see much reason for this and it wasn't directly stated in the article, rather inferred.

Also in another article it made a comment about have comparable Cards in there, so my 256MB probably wouldn't work with the other one seeing that it is a 4MB or whatever it may be. Now, the latter sounds a bit more plausible, but all things equal I'm in no mood to buy a high end PCI Video Card...

Any suggestions?

Hello and welcome to HwC.

You can definitly have the S3 and APG together, I've done it before. Everybody has an old Virge DX/GX somewhere!

The resource thing sounds like the S3 doesn't have an IRQ (which I think it needs, being so old). You may also need to specify in the BIOS assign IRQ to VGA.

Go into msinfo32 and see what conflicts, IRQs are free to determine if indeed there are not enough resources for the card.

Do you have lots of devices attached to your system? (Joysticks, USB keyrings, scanners etc)

Good luck

Thread Information