overheating in voodoo banshee chipsets
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: overheating in voodoo banshee chipsets

overheating in voodoo banshee chipsets

Has anyone had any overheating problems with video cards using a voodoo banshee chipset? I have recently been discouraged by a dealer from buying such a card esp Creative Lab because of this problem. He even mentioned a possible recall. I am thinking of buying an AMD k6-2 350 computer and am still undecided as to what video card to specify. Gaming is certainly a consideration but I'm not talking SERIOUS. Any ideas? Thanks.

A recall?
    Absurd!
    This isn`t a car or a medicine.
    Somebody is full of it!

CajunAce Guest
    Way back when the Banshee was nearing release I seem to remember a rumor that there may be a delay because the chips were running too hot. But this turned out to be a false rumor. All is well. If anything, it's the TNT boards that need extra cooling. I suspect your salesman was trying to steer you to a more expensive board.

I agree with the two of them, Banshee hardly run very hot! But for Riva TnT; it completely true, you need an extra fan to cool it off.
    I think the saleman know next to nothing about the world of PC. If I will you, don't even buy anything from him.

I agree with the two of them, Banshee hardly run very hot! But for Riva TnT; it completely true, you need an extra fan to cool it off.
    I think the saleman know next to nothing about the world of PC. If I will you, don't even buy anything from him.

------------------

I recently purchased a Creative Labs 3d blaster banshee, and the damn thing kept locking up continually in games because it was overheating very badly. Even clocking downt the video didnt help. This seems to have been a problem with the cl banshee. I got ahold of tech support, and they told me to return it and exchange it. It seems they are having a problem with the agp version running too hot. I had to have the case off and a small 6" desk fan blowin in on the card in order to get it to run without lockups.

And yes, there may be a recall on these cards soon...

Recalls are not unheard of for computer products, take a look at the origional rush cards, 3dfx had a Customer Request recall for the origional voodoo rush daughter cards. They shiped people stand alone voodoo1 cards in return.

There was another recall in computer video cards recently for hot chips, but I cannot remember which one it was. They were recalled to have cooling fans installed.

I got a creative labs tnt card in place of the Banshee, no problems with this card running too hot. Both cards had the same cooling heatsink on them, but this did not help the banshee from locking up.

Local pc shops here are not recommending the agp version of this card either, because of this problem.

There is not alot of price diff between the banshee and tnt from creative labs, so I got this card. I can also tell you that the tnt is alot faster than the banshee in every game I ran on it, except unreal, that game is still very slow in opengl and direct 3d.

I have been running a CL Banshee card now for a couple of months. To date I havent had any lockup or overheating problems. However, I am running the PCI version of the card so the AGP reports about running to hot may be accurate. At any rate I have had no problems running 3D apps for several hours at a time.

The 3dblaster banshee agp card runs 125mhz sgram, while the pci version is limited to slower sdram.

There have been few reports of problems with pci banshee cards, but agp is a different matter.
    Sometimes I wonder...

Thread Information