STB Velocity 4400 and Canopus pure 3d II
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: STB Velocity 4400 and Canopus pure 3d II

STB Velocity 4400 and Canopus pure 3d II

Is an STB Velocity 4400 (AGP) and Canopus pure 3d II (PCI) combo going to work? I'm
    building a system from scratch and have an
    ASUS P2B-LS mobo w/p2 400. I thought I may
    have read that Windows95 may use the PCI as
    them main card and not use the AGP at all. I'd rather not have to use 2 PCI slots for 2
    video cards if I don't have to, thus the proposed AGP + PCI combo. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Big Daddy

Chanse Guest
    As far as I know , there should be no problem with that setup. I would say that ,unless you're planning on going SLI with two pure 3d 2 cards, it would be kind of a waste of money having a TnT and 1 voodoo2 in the same system

Thanks for the reply Chanse. So you are recommending another TNT card in the PCI slot instead of 1 voodoo2 card? I'm gonna
    search around and see if STB makes a TNT pure 3d then.

Big Daddy

The STB Black Magic is the voodoo2 card. Happy hunting

The tnt is a 2d/3d card, and you can only use one in your computer. Voodoo2 cards are 3d add on cards that require a stand alone 2d card for basic windows opperations. Just go with one tnt card and no other card at all. If you want the best tnt card, then get the spectra 2500 from canopus. Read my post at: http://www.hardwarecentral.com/discussion/Forum3/HTML/000228.html

Sometimes I wonder...

Chanse Guest
    What I meant was that a TnT was fast enough to not need voodoo2 unless you were going a SLI route.

Thanks to all who helped out on this question. I'm gonna pick either the canopus spectra 2500 or the velocity 4400 and keep it at that. I'm also gonna research SLI to see
    about the 2 voodoo cards.

I actually am using the setup you described (Pure 3dII and 4400) - they work beautifully TOGETHER. Many games that I love (Unreal, Half life, many others) claim to support D3D, but do not do it well.

On the games that CAN use D3D well, the TNT kicks Voodoo2 butt in terms of visual quality and many times speed (and definitely resolution).

However, for support (and for Half life, Unreal, et al), I use the Canopus.

It's a win/win situation that I think you will be pleased with.

Thread Information