CPU Retention Module ... removal
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CPU Retention Module ... removal

CPU Retention Module ... removal

So for Christmas I ordred a new motherboard and cpu for the family, and happily set about building them today.

Only to find the fan that I got with the system is too big to fit into the standard CPU retention module that is already installed on the motherboard!

I'd unscrew it if I could, but instead of using anything like screws, it uses plastic tabs that were pushed through the holes. How am I supposed to get this out to put in the retention mechanism that came with my fan? Cut them off? Pliers? Anyone able to offer some help?

This module seems pretty solid, and I can't help but feel I might damage the board in my efforts to remove it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Look on the other side of the motherboard. You should be able to push the end of the plastic pin together and remove it that way. Essentially, these pins are pushed through the holes, and then they kind of spring out to keep them secure in there, but you should be able to get them out sans much effort. Let us know if that works
    Compy 1 (Brand New as of 2/7/07):
    P5N32-E SLI w/ C2D E6600 at stock (for now)
    Zalman CNPS9700 cooler
    2GB Corsair DDR2800 @ 5-5-5-15 @1.9v
    1x EVGA 8800GTX (stock)
    1 150GB Raptor+ 250GB WD Internal SATA's
    250GB WD Backup Drive
    2x Plextor DVD burners, IDE
    2x Plextor DVD burners, SATA
    Audigy2 w/ Klipsch 2.1's
    Black Silverstone TJ-07
    PC P&C 510W SLI PSU
    Dell 30" LCD

Strongbad e-mail

That would be true, but in addition to the black plastic tabs, they also inserted white plastic plugs. These plugs mean that the black tabs cannot be squeezed small enough to fit through the holes in the MB (or at least I can't squeeze them enough by hand. I could try a needle-nosed plier but then I start worrying about damaging the board ... see my predicament?)

If there is no easy way to get them out then I guess I'll try the pliers and then I'll have to try cutting it off. I don't think either option is an attractive one.

I believe you will have to use the pliers to remove them then. I seem to remeber having this same problem on a different board. I used pliers to remove them, had them slip off and slam into the board, but fortunately no damage was done. If you don't feel comfortable using pliers, than I am not sure of another way to do it...
    Compy 1 (Brand New as of 2/7/07):
    P5N32-E SLI w/ C2D E6600 at stock (for now)
    Zalman CNPS9700 cooler
    2GB Corsair DDR2800 @ 5-5-5-15 @1.9v
    1x EVGA 8800GTX (stock)
    1 150GB Raptor+ 250GB WD Internal SATA's
    250GB WD Backup Drive
    2x Plextor DVD burners, IDE
    2x Plextor DVD burners, SATA
    Audigy2 w/ Klipsch 2.1's
    Black Silverstone TJ-07
    PC P&C 510W SLI PSU
    Dell 30" LCD

Strongbad e-mail

Push/pull the plug out the middle first if you can. If you are not worried about saving the bracket the cut the ends off with wire cutters and pull the bracket off.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

It was a tough struggle but in the end I managed to work the damn thing out. Thanks for the help ... it just needed some elbow grease and a reckless determination that I didn't possess before.

Thread Information