Radeon X800XL Reviews
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Radeon X800XL Reviews

Hybrid View

Yah I was supprized when Anand said that ATI dropped the suggested price to $299 on that card.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

These vcards are obsrub!

The sheer cost of this equipment has finally made me realize that I can purchase a console that looks just as good if not better, and the games much better for console than for PC. All I need is to find a keyboard/mouse adapter and I'm set. Just need to decide whether to get PS2 or the new Xbox2.

I'll be a while yet before I upgrade again.

I'm sorry I don't get it. I played Halo2 on the xBox and it looks ugly. The texures are so blurry, I thought it was Quake2 in software mode! Sorry, but that is the truth. Currently a game on the counsil can not hold a candle to the PC version. They just have to trim it down too much... There is also the lack of the keyboard and mouse (which bugged me MUCH more than the horribly ugly graphics of Halo2).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Originally posted by Tuxy
    These vcards are obsrub!

I'll be a while yet before I upgrade again.
    Ehm R9800PRO you own wasnt any cheaper when it came out

I wouldn't upgrade if I had a 9800pro either.

Hell, this old 9600pro plays every game I throw at it just fine.

Originally posted by F_A_L_C_O_N
    Ehm R9800PRO you own wasnt any cheaper when it came out
    Uh... that's why I bought it over a yaer later for $400 Cdn.

That money spent on a vcard alone could mean a new console and a few games. There's certain games that are not out for PC liek GT4 which I want to play. If a games out for PC and console I'm gonna get it for PC.

The X700XT has been cancelled, just in case anybody missed the news reports.

A long time ago... The X700Pro 256 is pretty good and the x800XL has squeazed it out at only $300 with much better performance. Nobody really wanted a $200 XT with only 128MB of memory or a 256MB version for $250, which would have been a waste comparing it to the x700Pro 256 and x800XL.

From someone who owns Halo2 and plays Quake2 incessently, I don't think they look that much the same. I really like the graphics in Halo2, and considering the hardware running it, it seems like a rather impressive game to me. Personally, I think the game looks much more like UT2k3, especially concerning character detail, movement, and weapon fire.

Of course, I'm a bigger fan of gameplay, which is where the similarities are. Both Halo and Quake2 are fun to play, and the physics is really good in both. To me, the quality of the graphics will always take a backseat to gameplay. I don't care how "cool" a game looks if I don't like playing it.

As for the console effect, yeah you get limitations in the quality of the graphics, but you are guaranteed that any game you buy for it will work 100%. No driver changes, no upgrades, no viruses, no patches, etc. Considering it's a $150-300 initial cost, the console has a significant amount of appeal, especially when playing split screen with your freinds right in your own home.

I still like playing PC games, but I do enjoy my xBox all the same.

Thread Information