LCD monitors outsold CRTs in Q3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: LCD monitors outsold CRTs in Q3

LCD monitors outsold CRTs in Q3

EE Times Article LCD monitors outsold CRTs in Q3

While LCD panel prices started falling mid-year, they were not reflected in monitor prices until late in the third quarter due to high channel inventories, said DisplaySearch. Thus, LCD monitor shipments fell short of expectations despite overtaking CRTs.

I am not sure I understand the economics of this statement. There should be an oversupply of monitors (LCD) but the prices did not show up in retail until the 'high channel inventories' were depleted?

Should we expect to see even cheaper prices after the turn of the year? I am in the market for a larger monitor. I am looking at the Samsung 910T in the $480-$490 range. there are lots of monitors in the sub $400 range but the specs are lacking.

definitely, lcd will keep getting cheaper untill they hit current crt prices. even then they will probably fall even lower because crt's cost more in many ways of manufacturing/shipping.

I think it will turn out like dvd players did. You can get a dvd player for less than half the cost you could ever have got a vcr for.
    cool to see how nicely lcd's are finally starting to drop. Ill probably wait untill i can get a 19"lcd for about $200.... maybe a year from now?

I think $350-$400 would be the mark that gets me on a quality 19" Lcd.

I was helping a friend buy a digital camera this evening at Best Buy. (I recommended the Nikon 4800) He wanted a lot of zoom. (Nikon is 8.3X) The sales kid tried pushing Sony's cause of the Carl Zeiss lenses. (3X zoom)
    After accepting my recomendation, he asked the sales kid if memory came with the camera.
    Just a 16 meg card, you need another one. Showed us a PNY 128 meg card. I recomended a 512 Sandisk card (w/$30 rebate). It is just refreshing when a friend asks for advise and then follows it.

I looked at the LCD displays while in the store. Most of the sale models were not True Color (16.2 mil). I will wait till after the hollidays.

I did end up getting a WinTv PVR 150. Now I have TV on the computer. I wonder how it will look on a 19" monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-184&depa=1

there's your buy then.

I would still wait a bit longer, say at least till tax season, i bet that same panel will be $50 cheaper.

2.0's Hardware bug bit me. I have lost two hardware modems in the past 3 weeks. The first to a bad lightning strike, the second to a power outage/surge.

I am not familiar with Acer equipment. I know no one with experience with them either. I don't think I will trust $400 with them. I will hold on till tax season. The Samsung 910T's at New Egg keep creaping down, $5 at a time. $465 on sale.

I bought a Hyundai 910+ Imagequest 19" CRT for $162 and am pleased, run it at 1200x1600, 85 Hz refresh, excellent image quality.
    Best LCD for money seemed a 17" 1024x1280, 16ms, but cost $230-250.
    Technology increases at a parabolic curve upward.

I have so little space that replacing a 15" lcd with a 19" lcd will take some rearranging and tossing . . .

I would prefer two 17" lcd displays but can not fit two lcds in my space. I would love to use this 15 along with the 19 I plan on buying. I am studying this problem real hard.

Thread Information