installing a fan
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: installing a fan

installing a fan

hello,

i've an nvidia ti4200 card.

i bought this fan
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....116-008-03.JPG

i figured the thermal paste and the fan fits over the chipset.

but what do i do with those 4 bar thingies. they dont seem to match anything. they come with stickers but i dont know what to put them too. wont the stickers melt? and i dont need to put thermal paste under them?

i went to their website but couldnt find that model

if you could help

thank you.

They are made to cover the memory chips on the card, if yours does not already have some. Each bar covers two chips and some have memory on the front and back of the card.

This is my old GeForce4 Ti4200 (back from the dead resently and sitting in one of my LAN party systems). It has smaller heatsinks on each memory chip. My card has them on the front and back, so I had to cut this old Pentium Pro heatsink I got for $1 used at a local shop into 8 small heatsinks with a hack saw. I used Arctic Silver3 with a tiny dab of super glue at each end to attach them. They work pretty good. Here is an old picture (taken with an older Sony digital camcorder).

AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

cant see it

is Arctic Silver3 that paste thing?

Here is some more pictures that might help:

Eight tiny heatsinks, the glue, and Artic Silver 2 (I now use AS5) and below is the bear card. It had no heatsinks on the memory, just on the GPU (or core):

As you can see I only used the Arctic Silver 2 (thermal grease) in the middle heatsink and left the ends bear. I put a tiny dot of Super Glue on these bear ends:

As you can see there are 8 memory chips so I needed 4 heatsinks on the back of the card:

And 4 on the front of course:

AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thumbs up

i glued em. seem to work =D.
    thank you

Thread Information