Buy HL2 via Steam or go to a store?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy HL2 via Steam or go to a store?

Buy HL2 via Steam or go to a store?

I'm going to buy HL2 tomorrow.

I was just wondering if you guys have any pro's or con's to buying it via Steam or via Store.

I'm thinking it would be better to buy it at a store so I can get the CD and the box.

Maybe I'm wrong

Edit:
    I been reading online that if you buy retail you'll have to have the CD/DVD to play. If you download from Steam you don't need it. I already have a Steam account. Hmm...
    Last edited by Pipewrench; November 22nd, 2004 at 12:38 AM.
    Colossians 3 - rules to live by.
    <><

Simply a time factor. It is 4GB+ for the download. Even at 1Mbit connection that will take some time.

edit//

Given your disgust with Doom3 I'll warn you that you shoot all manor of things and that there are human fatalities involving lots of blood and dismemberment.

AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Downloading is more convenient, but I always think there's something nice about having the actual product, bit like buying a film DVD really.

Plus it's less hassle if you have to reinstall your machine for any reason.

Anyway, however you decide to obtain it I implore you to do so, because it's just fantastic
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Originally posted by SexyMF
    Given your disgust with Doom3 I'll warn you that you shoot all manor of things and that there are human fatalities involving lots of blood and dismemberment.
    Hey, I appreciate the warning.

I'll be a bit more clear here. I however don't want to start a war or fight or anything.

To me Doom III seems very evil. It just has that look to it. Personally the company that makes the game (id) seems evil to me.

I have enjoyed counter-strike and half-life in the past because it's the classic good guy's vs. bad guys. When I used to play UT I would turn off the gore. I am big on adventure and strategy. I am not big on gore. If HL2 has got a good story and is a good adventure I'll try to overlook the gore. If it ends up being too much, then I can at least play Counter-Strike Source. Which is about 60% of the reason for me wanting to buy it

Again, I'm just explaining my view. I'm not condemning anyone for playing Doom III.

Thanks for the replies and for reading.
    <><

I got it from Steam because I was very impatient the day it went out (hype suddently went up to my head...). Both ways are good, like the DVD version for the same price of the 5 CD one, or the silver Steam package with HL: Source.

Also, I've heard that each Steam copy sold gives around $30 to the developers at Valve, while a boxed one gives around 10$. It seems pretty logic to me (elimitates the middle-man), but it might only be rumors I've heard though...

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thanks for all the replies.

I picked it up in the store today.

It's got Gman on the front.

Going to reload my box so I don't have any issues since I'm going from nVidia to ATI.

<><

Originally posted by SexyMF

edit//

Before opening the box last night I looked at some of the pics that K62 had uploaded. I had no idea that it was so bloody. Again thanks for the warning SexyMF. I am taking the unopened box back to ebgames today for a refund. I should have listened.
    <><

Ah Pipey. I would consider thinking that over, to be honest, those screenshots were some of the worst I had taken. The game is NOT all like that at all!

This game is amazing! I would really give it a shot.

I may just try it out. I was mad when I made the post because I also can't get my Radeon 9700 working in this box. I posted a new thread in Support about it

I'll most likely keep it and play it
    <><

LOL do it!

You won't be disapointed! The last level is so much fun.

Re: Buy HL2 via Steam or go to a store?

Originally posted by Pipewrench
    I'm going to buy HL2 tomorrow.

I was just wondering if you guys have any pro's or con's to buying it via Steam or via Store.

I'm thinking it would be better to buy it at a store so I can get the CD and the box.

Maybe I'm wrong

Edit:
    I been reading online that if you buy retail you'll have to have the CD/DVD to play. If you download from Steam you don't need it. I already have a Steam account. Hmm...
    You can get the game right now at gogamer.com for $34
    And the collection pack for $59
    John

Processor: P4 2.4AGhz
    Motherboard: Asus P4P-800-E Deluxe
    RAM: 2GB Crucial 2600? DDR 400
    Hard drive 1: Seagate 320GB SATA 7200
    Hard drive 2: Seagate 160GB SATA 7200
    Video card: Sapphire X1600 Pro 256mb DDR 2
    DVD Burner:Lite-On DVD 16x Burner
    Power supply:Enermax coolergiant EG485AX 480W
    Modem: Motorola surfboard 5120
    Case:Lian Li PC-65B
    Monitor: 19in Viewsonic LCD VX924
    Audio system: Bose companion 3

pipe- i dont know man, im a little more worried about walking down my street at night then what i see in a video game. If you ask me i want my games to be sicker than hell, only then maybe real life can seem somewhat tame.

The game is finally in our stores 2. But I have one question.

Do I need internet connection to be able to play the game ? My problem is I have no internet @ home , so basicly if I buy the game and it needs steam to verify or something after install then I am screwed.
    EPOX EP9NPA+
    AMD 64 3000+
    2x 512mb Samsung DDR 400
    80gb Western Digital
    Benq DvD Writer
    LG Combo
    19" Mag Innovision CRT
    GeForce 6600GT
    Windows XP Pro SP1

Originally posted by fx
    The game is finally in our stores 2. But I have one question.

Do I need internet connection to be able to play the game ? My problem is I have no internet @ home , so basicly if I buy the game and it needs steam to verify or something after install then I am screwed.
    Yes you need a NET connection (to register/use key code), but after that you don't need a connection.
    John

Processor: P4 2.4AGhz
    Motherboard: Asus P4P-800-E Deluxe
    RAM: 2GB Crucial 2600? DDR 400
    Hard drive 1: Seagate 320GB SATA 7200
    Hard drive 2: Seagate 160GB SATA 7200
    Video card: Sapphire X1600 Pro 256mb DDR 2
    DVD Burner:Lite-On DVD 16x Burner
    Power supply:Enermax coolergiant EG485AX 480W
    Modem: Motorola surfboard 5120
    Case:Lian Li PC-65B
    Monitor: 19in Viewsonic LCD VX924
    Audio system: Bose companion 3

I have a friend who bought HL2 online, and downloaded it. It must have REALLY sucked to be him, as he's running wireless 56k in his house. He popped online and told me after 2 weeks straight, he was at like 86%. I felt really really bad for him.
    -brenden
    -Brenden-

May The Force Be With You

-= My **** =-
    Biostar M7NCD
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+ @ 2.1ghz
    512mb DDR400
    ATI Radeon 9250 128mb
    IDE Hitachi 160gig HD @ 7200rpm
    Integrated sound - for now :-P

Two HP Pavilion 6630's runnin':
    500mhz Intel Celeron