something's wrong with my laptop
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: something's wrong with my laptop

Unhappy something's wrong with my laptop

here's whats going on:
    when ever i leave my laptop to charge overnight, i wake up to find the bottom of it exteremely hot!, but the battery is very cool. Seems like after the battery is fully charged, the laptop turns itself on?(beause the hd/power light it on), but i cant actually turn it on or use it. the only way to fix it from that point is to take out the battery and unplugg the AC, so it completely looses power, put the battery back in, and it works fine.
    Another interesting phenominon is that whenever this laptop goes into standby mode the very same thing happens! the bottom heats up and i cant turn it back on!
    the model is an armada m700
    an help in solving this mystery would be deeply appreciated

thanks
    -d94

edit:my lappy is now fully charged and the power light is blinking...its not on, but i saw i similar thing last night before i went to bed!
    [COLOR=black]
    apogee:maze4:mag3:BIX2:2x sanyo denki
    ASUS P5WD2 Premium
    Intel 920 @ 322x14 = 4.5ghz @ 1.5v stable (314x14 1.45v 24/7)
    2GB Corsair PRO DDR2
    7900gt @ 680/850
    74GB WD Raptor - 250GB Maxtor SATA 16mb cache
    XaserIII v2000a - 520w OCZ Powerstream
    2407fpw, 2x 2007fpw, 37" WS HDTV LCD
    "badonkadonk" - Junk in the trunk. Her badonkadonk made a brotha pop mad wheelies

Try checking and confirm to yourself that all settings are correct in bios, I would of thought it could be a virus, but dont really think virus can turn your laptop on by itself...

How long have you had the laptop? Has it got any warrantys? Another thing is that most batteries have all sorts of gadgets chips and does all sorts of funny stuff...

Have you got another battery? Thats a minor issue though, i really do not think it could be the battery! To be honest iam not too sure what could of caused it...

this is strange becuase mainly a problem similar would be the laptop turning itself off (not on)
    Regards

Salih15

These are pure guesses.

1. Good observation on the same symptoms with standby mode. Try going to power options and setting the system never to go into standby mode and see if it continues.

2. I have read that the newer batteries do not need to be run all the way down to prolong their life, like the old ones used to. However, I also read that running the battery down to full discharge is a way to recalibrate the battery meter, which may need to be done on occasion. I doubt this will help, but how long has it been since you ran the battery all the way out, so that the machine cut off?

This is a bit OT to your question -- I agree with jimbo, check Power Options first.

Many battery manufacturers dispute the "memory effect" which was alleged to be characteristic of nicads. If you run rechargeables down too far, consider this. It's a battery pack consisting of several batteries. After a while they'll not likely all have the same capacity. When you run the pack all the way down, one is likely to be lower than the others. If it is completely down the others will end up charging it. We've found that running nicad cordless screwgun packs down to nothing kills the packs faster. Laptops are now lithium ion, not nicad, but the principle is worth considering.

I do not disagree at all with what DanceMan is saying on the effect of taking a battery down all the way. My point was to consider a battery calibration issue as a possible cause, and from what I understand, discharging the battery is one way to cause recalibration.

Originally posted by Salih15
    Have you got another battery? Thats a minor issue though, i really do not think it could be the battery!
    Take that back!
    Regards

Salih15

similar symptoms on my Dell Inspiron before battery went south.

check power saving options...though it *could* be the battery.

Thread Information